Author Topic: Melee Scuffle  (Read 1882 times)

Offline JohnK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Melee Scuffle
« on: March 04, 2014, 07:16:34 AM »
Has anyone used melee scuffle before?
Seems a rather powerful skill.
I m thinking of using it (if I finally permit its use) as a combat maneuver with normal cost.
http://johnkapsalis.deviantart.com/

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Melee Scuffle
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
It is a powerful skill, especially if you only require 20% activity.  I doubled the activity to 40%, which worked well enough in RMSS.  The result is primary attack at -40 and a secondary melee scuffle.  Note that any parry should also be deducted from melee scuffle skill.

I stopped using melee scuffle.  I now allow instead a player to make a normal attack and substitute unbalance crits.  Useful to gain advantage or attempts to capture foes.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline JohnK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »
I doubled the activity to 40%, which worked well enough in RMSS
20% would permit a primary attack at -40 and two secondary attacks with melee scuffle, in one round! Too powerful combination. But even with the 40% activity I am skeptical. It s still problematic (practically two attacks in around)

I m also thinking of using it as the subdual attack skill in the Combat maneuvers, but with Unbalancing criticals instead of Subdual. Not too powerful but useful.

The thought behind this is to permit the warrior to break the defense line of enemies or... even to pass through the line and attack an opponent behind it (not using pole arm) at the same round! The last one normaly demanding two rounds of action.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »
Where is this skill listed? I don't see it and you've piqued my curiosity.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 12:02:12 AM »
Where is this skill listed? I don't see it and you've piqued my curiosity.

RM2 Arms Companion.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 04:34:45 AM »
I did not think it was an RMSS/FRP skill. But then I thought that maybe there was a language barrier and the skill was in RMSS/FRP.

I will leave the topic here unless someone wants me to move it to the RM2/C section as it seems to be played out at the moment.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline JohnK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 05:43:36 AM »
Although I 'm using RMSS, I thought that melee scuffle (from the Arms Companion) may be introduced to the game in a way that balance may be maintained and at the same time give a fighter the opportunity to break the enemy line with an appropriate attack.

The idea behind my question is to give the fighter in my campaign more advantage in battle based on some skill besides his quite high OB. The thief in the campaign we 're currently playing, seems equally deadly with the fighter since he has almost the same OB (but with only one weapon though).

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 07:17:53 AM »
I personally use melee scuffle (but in RM2...) but I don't see much of a problem with it. First, because it's a skill on which one have to spend DP; second, because I only allow it when one has a "large" item in hands (e.g., a shield in addition to a one-handed weapon, a polearm or a two-handed weapon), making it not much different from developing TWC and getting a second attack; at last, because the defender gets a RR. So, sure, if used with your normal melee attack, you get an additional one, but only to inflict unbalancing criticals (which isn't that much, really) and your opponent even gets a RR (so developing TWC would be better); or you can use it with weapon brawling (and gets two melee scuffle attacks), but, not only do you have to develop yet another skill (weapon brawling itself), even your main attack (the weapon brawling) wouldn't inflict as much damage as normally; and using it alone (getting four melee scuffle attacks) isn't really all that helpful... except to push someone back, somewhat equivalent to a bull rush or tripping maneuver (as a note since someone lamented it didn't exist in RMU).
At last, I personally think the more combat maneuver options are available, the better... not to mention I also play with the tumbling attack maneuver, which I find is waaaaaay more powerful (though it has its own drawbacks). Or the feinting maneuver.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 08:53:23 AM »
Weapon Styles in the MAC allow for multiple attacks.  Additional unarmed attack, shield bashes, additional strikes; plenty of options to keep things interesting and give fighters a little oomph in melee.  The defensive options are particularly nice.  And melee scuffle or weapon brawl is easily added as well to a style.

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 04:07:25 AM »
Although I 'm using RMSS, I thought that melee scuffle (from the Arms Companion) may be introduced to the game in a way that balance may be maintained and at the same time give a fighter the opportunity to break the enemy line with an appropriate attack.

The idea behind my question is to give the fighter in my campaign more advantage in battle based on some skill besides his quite high OB. The thief in the campaign we 're currently playing, seems equally deadly with the fighter since he has almost the same OB (but with only one weapon though).
MS is a completely broken skill IMO. I would just use the Moving Manoeuvre rules to break an enemy line.
eg
Fighter: I want to use Brawn to bash down the front line.
GM: No probs, make a Very Hard MM, the guy in front has two ranks behind him so only makes a Medium MM.

Fighter: I want to use Athletics to clamber on top of them.
GM: okay, you can Make a Hard MM but if he beats you in his Medium MM you can't parry his attack.

MM's are a great part of RM, use them! :)
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist