Author Topic: Movement allowance per phase  (Read 1586 times)

Offline daedel

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Movement allowance per phase
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:24:45 AM »
Hi all,

I've always ruled (in RMF) that when you perform movement in a snap, normal o deliberate phase the restriction applies to the total movement rate, i.e. after multiplying it by pace. But I have recently acquired RMSS Player Guide and there it says "of normal move". I am confused about this, because in RMF doesn't say so.  Can anybody clarify this for me?

Offline adanost

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Sailin' the waves
Re: Movement allowance per phase
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »
I have always assumed that the percentage was applied to the total movement rate applying the pace rate multiplier. Looking through some examples in RMSS it seems so, but I have no access to the Player Guide now.
Ricard
Devoted GM

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:17:05 PM »
The allowed movement (i.e. ONLY moving from point A to point B) is restricted to that percentage of your possible movement in that phase only... those restrictions being Snap: 20%, Normal:50% and Deliberate: 80%.

So...
you could move 20% in snap, 20% in normal and make a 60% attack in deliberate.
you could concentrate for 50% in snap and move 25% in normal (waiting to watch for other possible movement), and then the last 25% available in deliberate.
If you're doing NOTHING but moving then it's 20% in snap, 50% in normal, and the leftover 30% in deliberate (or whatever combination that totals 100% and doesn't exceed the limit for the phase).
and so on.

Basically you can move up to that amount listed each phase so long as you don't surpass your overall allowed (100%) movement for the total round.

Essentially RMSS/FRP only meters movement in a round, in order to stop the "I move from point A to point B in the blink of an eye" effect.  Everything else is more or less abstracted throughout the round.  (RM2 works the same way I believe while RMU does almost the exact opposite of this).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline daedel

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:09:45 PM »
Thank you both. Cory, I understand the percentages, my doubt is about how you calculate those percentages upon, the base rate or the base rate multiplied by the selected pace. I've always assumed the second, but that paragraph in player aid confuses things for me a little bit.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:58:42 PM »
Ohhhh.  I see what you mean.  I thought it was odd you wouldn't understand that 20% in snap meant you could only move 20% of your movement in that round and not that it means that was the only movement you could make in the round. ;)

Yeah, I would assume it would be 20% the percentage of the base rate multiplied by the pace if we are talking snap phase.  I think the "Of normal movement" is just referring to basic movement and, unclearly, implying that it doesn't involved things like Jumping/Leaping skills for example (i.e. anything that's not considered 'normal' movement).
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 01:11:52 AM »
Not to mention a ruling I found quite recently also suggests that any unspent percentages can be spent on movement after all the phases have been resolved. Once I discovered this rule simplified the round sequence quite a bit since moving during the Phases only became important to see when you where allowed to act if you needed to move before the action. Gonna try to find the page that refers to this rule.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 01:19:52 AM »
Yup found it. It is listed on p.41 in RMFRP and p. 74 in RMSS under the DELIBERATE ACTION PHASE listing.
Any unused activity (maximum of 80%) may be used as movement that is simultaneously resolved after all of the deliberate actions have been resolved.
The way it is written it also sounds like you don't even have to declare this movement.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 01:34:57 AM »
... movement that is simultaneously resolved ...

Ouch. That must be one of the few places in any rules where actions/movement are not resolved in initiative order. How is the GM supposed to execute simultaneous movement? Does it go on to say exactly how it is resolved?

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 02:37:39 AM »
Ouch. That must be one of the few places in any rules where actions/movement are not resolved in initiative order. How is the GM supposed to execute simultaneous movement? Does it go on to say exactly how it is resolved?

Yeah, you'd have to do that based on initiative.  Otherwise it'd get really messy.
- Cory Magel