Author Topic: HARP: Spell Cards. Who would be interested?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
HARP: Spell Cards. Who would be interested?
« on: November 16, 2014, 07:25:19 PM »
I am developing spell cards for HARP. These would be for easy simple reference during game play so you don't have to go into the book each and every time someone wants to cast a spell. Each spell card will have one spell on it with the entire description and all the scaling options, though some spells will require two cards. I am currently working on using them on poker sized cards. But if enough people are interested I could develop them on larger cards (tarot sized?) but that will increase the cost. I am developing these cards for both the core Fantasy book and the College of Magics supplement.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline trechriron

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast
Re: HARP: Spell Cards. Who would be interested?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 10:42:14 PM »
Sounds awesome. In the past, I've seen these done in the 3 x 5 format, which seems to provide a lot of space. :-)
Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 04:11:53 AM »
I'm quite excited about this product. I hope people think its a good idea. Bruce is going to get these produced and hopefully they can become official quality goods.
Heavy is the head that wears the Iron Crown

Offline trechriron

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 02:32:50 PM »
If ICE/GCP are licensing supplements, and you are willing to use OBS (DriveThru RPG, et al), they have a POD service for cards. Which would not only give you a nice, less risky way to offer them, but theoretically keeps them available for a long time to come. I don't know of the card quality (I imagine some Google-fu would turn up reviews), but the POD book I ordered from OBS was very nice.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:27:18 PM »
Where do I research this "OBS" service?
I'm currently using thegamecrafter.com which has some really great print services. The only problem is the interface to input the cards is somewhat iffy. I just asked if there was a way to get a draft print of the first page before I commit to a run just in case the font is not readable, I should get a reply in the next couple of days. Right now it looks like the Disease spell will take up about 5 cards if I am unable to shrink the font. Either way it will still take up more than one card. If the current font size I am using is to small then half the spells will not fit onto one card and I will have to go with a larger size card, which in turn will increase the price. Alternately I can skimp a little on the description and put the book and page number of the spell on the card. If the user wants more clarification they could look in the book. I need to see a draft print before I make any decisions on this.
Regardless of all this it is taking me more time to develop these cards than I originally expected. One of my hurdles was learning a new program (Xara photo and graphic designer 10) and converting everything over to that program.

Bruce

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 12:19:11 AM »
OBS, is DrivethroughRPG.com IIRC or RPGNow.com as they are the same company.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:51:55 AM »
Never heard of RPGNow being called "OBS". I couldn't find anything on a print service for a deck of playing cards.

BTW, these cards I'm developing will be available for purchase through whatever site I use once I'm finished developing them.

Bruce

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 09:25:55 AM »
While I am versed in many abbreviations common to our hobby, it is often good to introduce them, especially as there is occasional overlap. My guess is that OBS stands for "Online Book Service", "Online Business Service", or something like that.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 09:59:11 AM »
While I am versed in many abbreviations common to our hobby, it is often good to introduce them, especially as there is occasional overlap. My guess is that OBS stands for "Online Book Service", "Online Business Service", or something like that.

OneBookShelf. They are the parent company formed by the merger of RPGNow & DriveThru, and yes, they do print cards.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline trechriron

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »
My apologies!  It is indeed OneBookShelf. I think EnWorld store is part of it as well. There are a BUNCH of sites offering fiction, comics, RPGs, etc.

The main site

DriveThruCards

How to Sell DriveThruCards

Offline Davrem

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 11:56:24 PM »
Did this ever happen?? I would buy them.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 10:31:18 AM »
I am working on them but have had to put them on the shelf for a little time due to Gencon and other needs like the software for my gaming group. I a, just about ready for the first test page. If all works out with the first test page I will get the rest done in no time. I am hoping to have all this done and out before Christmas this year though if I were to push for it I could get it done in the next 2 months (possibly sooner).

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 02:43:21 PM »
I would definately be interested in these.  I think playing card size would be perfect.
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!