Author Topic: Old HARP Players  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Old HARP Players
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:36:58 PM »
Are there any of you out there that still play the old HARP RPG?  We haven't converted over to the new HARP Fantasy yet and I was just curious as to how many old HARPers might still be out there.    8)
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline trechriron

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast
Re: Old HARP Players
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »
Why not use the revised rules? The fixes seem good to me (having played previous version...).
Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »
Well, I got a copy of the new HARP Fantasy about a year ago.  Just really haven't gone over to it yet.  Nothing against the new version, but I still like a few things in the older version better.  I will probably change over and just keep a few things from the original that I like. 
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline Jaeru

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 06:32:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure all of the HARP PbP games on Realroleplaying are using the old rules.

Why? I guess, because it doesn't feel broken or lacking and people don't have/take the time (including myself) to buy and (re)read the new rulebooks. Likely the new rules are better, because HARP 1st ed cetainly has some quirks. The thing is HARP is so flexible that those quirks are easily solved/adjusted with houserules. Personally I like to simplify as much as possible without losing realism and then it still works. Give me a core rulebook, a spellbook (like spell law) and a bestiary book and I'm a happy chappy. The rest is just complexity I won't use...but that's just me.  ;)

In any case...I'll probably change over when the new HARP bestiary comes out   

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 08:32:50 AM »
For Humans, Skill Flexibility is usable at 1st level, whereas you have to wait until 2nd for Profession Adaptability to be useful; going from 8 free stat adjustment points to 10 helps round human characters.

Profession-wise, I'm guessing they removed some Talents and just put those abilities directly into the professions. It is helpful that a Cleric's base spell list only needs to have 5 spells from the Cleric Sphere, though some themes make even taking five Cleric Sphere spells difficult. Required subskills? Several systems have been doing this since forever.
#LotorAllura2024