Author Topic: Goblin Natural Lifespan?  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Goblin Natural Lifespan?
« on: December 28, 2014, 11:09:31 PM »
I was looking at the Creatures & Monsters allowed as player characters with GM permission. Recently, and quite by accident, I found the webtoon Gundarr. So, once again I am doing character interpretations as a thought experiment.

Anyhow, the younger sister of Greg the goblin, is "Moody" Sue, who is half human. Looking at both HARP Fantasy and HARP Sci Fi, I figured the only profession that fit Greggers was Adventurer (Codex). Moody is probably a burgeoning fighter. Sue would definitely take the large influence of her human blood, and I can't average goblin and human life spans without knowing the natural lifespan of a HARP goblin.

Will the Beastiary contain this information?

Thank you.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline trechriron

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast
Re: Goblin Natural Lifespan?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 11:00:46 AM »
I have no idea of the official answer, but generally, fantasy games I have played have put the expected life expectancy at say 20 - 30 years, with exceptions based on circumstance (like the venerable, giant, fat Goblin king). Of course, if you wanted to, you could go with more "dark fey" versions where Goblins are just part of the Dark Court, and give them immortality (baring death by shenanigans). :-)  In Shadows of Yesterday, Goblins look like dog-people and can eventually turn into humans if they can earn the love of another human. They have shorter life-spans unless they become human IIRC. Usually, Goblins have a shorter life expectancy because of how violent and savage their culture is. If you're setting is more akin to the Iron Kingdoms or GURPS Goblins (Victorian-era goblin mayhem), then the death rate would be lower.

Instead of any "official" version, frankly I would just invent one that fits the setting/genre. I am not familiar with the webtoon, but I am guessing there must be some info about those Goblins as they seem to be the featured protagonists.

Happy Creating! :-)
Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 12:01:08 PM »
I read somewhere, and probably not even on a roleplaying game forum, that goblins live around 100 years if they don't get killed. Gundarr goblins look human with yellow-green skin, and large pointed ears. Moody Sue is a two episode off joke, mostly to make fun of Gundarr's attitude: she's human sized and colored, well endowed in the lower body, but not upper. Like her older brother Greg, she has large pointed ears.

In one episode, Gundarr punches Greggers in the face sending him flying, having previously given him a black eye. Next episode, Greg is fine, he even mentions Gundarr punching him in a later episode.

Here's the episode that introduces Moody (NSFW, but then that's the whole webtoon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etUCiU7brXs
#LotorAllura2024

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 09:17:27 AM »
I was looking at the Creatures & Monsters allowed as player characters with GM permission. Recently, and quite by accident, I found the webtoon Gundarr. So, once again I am doing character interpretations as a thought experiment.

Anyhow, the younger sister of Greg the goblin, is "Moody" Sue, who is half human. Looking at both HARP Fantasy and HARP Sci Fi, I figured the only profession that fit Greggers was Adventurer (Codex). Moody is probably a burgeoning fighter. Sue would definitely take the large influence of her human blood, and I can't average goblin and human life spans without knowing the natural lifespan of a HARP goblin.

Will the Beastiary contain this information?

Thank you.

I've flagged this to Jon as author of HARP Folkways.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:10:31 PM »
Races and Cultures Underground Races (RMSS sourcebook if you are willing to use RM data) lists lifespan to 80 years and mentions that about half of goblin population reaches to that. There is a chapter (about 10 rows) about goblins lifespan. I really like that book...

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »
@Nicholas, thank you!

@Tommi, that would work out to a lifespan of 90 years. Thank you as well.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline joncassie

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Author of "Loot" and the forthcoming "Folkways."
    • Personal Page
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »
Within "Folkways," I've created a Goblin-like race whose lifespan I set at 40 years. Speaking to that lifespan there is certainly the violence that's inherent within the cultures that all Goblin-like races in fantasy settings seem to have. There's also a relationship between investment in child rearing and lifespan that seems to pertain throughout biology. Humans have a long lifespan and have a lengthy investment in child rearing. The lifespan/investment relationship seems to speak to a lower lifespan for Goblins and Goblin-like races. Perhaps I'll redraft with a mindset for the longer lifespan...

Offline trechriron

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 09:21:22 PM »
Jon - I agree with that approach. I think if Goblins gain some sort of civilization or are absorbed into an existing one, their lifespans would be increased.
Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 09:28:41 PM »

House Rules for RMSS and sometimes HARP In my game goblins are very short lived and max out at 20 years but they grow very quickly to adulthood. I subscribe to the violent brutal nature idea of goblins and not the civilized view of the race.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »
Krakathoom (Gundarr's planet's name) is an anachronism stew: Both Gundarr and Toddy "the Body" have access to the internet, and the front door to the tavern "The Cockatrice" is an automatic door, despite it otherwise being a middle ages period building with indoor plumbing. So, with schizo tech going on, goblin lifespan could have been medically or magically extended (or both).

Greg refers to going to school, and Internet conventions.

Except for Todd, who admits to being at least 400, most of the characters seem in their 30s or younger.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 02:24:42 PM »
Races and Cultures Underground Races (RMSS sourcebook if you are willing to use RM data) lists lifespan to 80 years and mentions that about half of goblin population reaches to that. There is a chapter (about 10 rows) about goblins lifespan. I really like that book...
Me too, I really like the gnolls in there and were going to confuse the heck out of some players with them - their characters were from The Kingdom of Kalamar setting so they only know the 7 foot tall, hyena headed gnolls.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 02:40:47 PM »
Heh, I'd love to see the reactions of people whose only experience is with D&D/Pathfinder against HARP goblins or kobolds.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 10:41:31 AM »
Me too, I really like the gnolls in there and were going to confuse the heck out of some players with them - their characters were from The Kingdom of Kalamar setting so they only know the 7 foot tall, hyena headed gnolls.

To me RM (underground races and Quellbourne land of Silvery mists) gnoll is the almost correct gnoll. It compares more to Scandinavian version of "maahinen" (in Finnish) (in swdish gnom) - although we have several versions of gnolls or gnomes here depending on area/country.

I was really surprised when I 1st time played Baldurs Gate and met those hyena-men.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 06:20:58 PM »
Today I did a little work on Moody Sue. I used the random roll, re-roll <= 40 under method. What I got: 90, 56, 54, 96, 54, 91, 93, 77.

"Moody" Sue
Female Half-Goblin/Half-Human
Rural
1st level Fighter

Goblin
St +3
Co +3
Ag +3
Qu +3
Endurance +30
Power Points + 30
Resistance: Stamina +10
Resistance: Will +10
Resistance: Magic +10

- Agile Defense (Traded for Human ability)
Athletic
Lightning Reflexes
- Night Vision (Traded for Human ability)
Sunlight Intolerance, Major

Human Blood (Greater)
+ Strong Influence: Average lifespans, 3 stat points to spend between at least 2 stats.
+ Skill Specialization

Stats
St: 77 (+9: +3 Goblin, +6 Stat)
Co: 93 (+12: +3 Goblin, +9 Stat)
Ag: 96 (+13: +3 Goblin, +10 Stat)
Qu: 91 (+12: +3 Goblin, +9 Stat)
SD: 90 (+10: +2 Human, +8 Stat)
Re: 54 (+1: all Stat)
In: 54 (+1: all Stat)
Pr: 56 (+3: +1 Human, +1 Stat)

Professional Abilities
Combat Skill Bonus
Close Shot
Speed Loader (Modern Ranged Weapons)
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 07:08:02 PM »
I did a little work on "Greggers" too. Here are the rolls: 86, 79, 65, 90, 82, 77, 74, 73

Greg "Greggers" the Intern of Toddy "the Body"
Male Goblin
Urban
1st level Adventurer (Codex)

St: 65 (+6, +3 Goblin, +3 Stat)
Co: 90 (+11: +3 Goblin, +8 Stat)
Ag: 79 (+9: +3 Goblin, +6 Stat)
Qu: 77 (+9: +3 Goblin, +6 Stat)
SD: 86 (+8)
Re: 82 (+7)
In: 74 (+5)
Pr: 73 (+5)

Professional Abilities
Adventurer Sphere (SD/In)
2 Chosen favored Skill Categories in addition to General, Combat, Physical, and Mystic Arts.
8 Freebie skill ranks to spend among favored skill categories, minimum 2 ranks per category.

As for the culture differences, there is more indication that Greg interacts with outside society. Interning for Todd, he has to visit the evil mall and the evil pharmacy. In "Da Bridgeminder" it's "Greggers" who reveals to Gundarr that there is another, newer, paved suspension bridge.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 09:13:34 PM »
Moody's Presence score actually gives her a +2 from the Stat, so the total is right, my calculations were wrong.

I was thinking about goblins' night vision and sunlight intolerance being a pair, therefore a single ability. That would leave a full blooded goblin at four racial abilities instead of three.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »
I don't consider "effects of lifestyle choices" to be part of natural lifespan, I consider "if creature X minded its own business for its life, how long could it live?". In State of the Nations, Vol. 1: The Gadianti and Hearthom, the only setting expansion to the Diomin D&D setting, it's stated that Gadianti could live to be about 80 years old. Which is immediately followed by the fact that very few make it there.
#LotorAllura2024