Author Topic: RMU ArmsLaw with HARP  (Read 1352 times)

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU ArmsLaw with HARP
« on: February 13, 2015, 01:13:31 PM »
Has anyone used the new playtest armslaw tables with Harp?  I was experimenting a bit and even dropping the armor bonus it seems a bit difficult to get crits (for example 125 min for longsword vs mail).  For equal combatants it is a bit of a slog.  Any insights?

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
Re: RMU ArmsLaw with HARP
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »
I haven't used the RMU tables but I have converted one of the older sets tables over. I created a set of tables that I believe are much more dynamic and work with the crit tables from any Rolemaster version. They are still currently in the playtest stage. I recently started a new group and we should start playtesting those tables in the next two sessions. Each attack type (Slash, Puncture, Crush, etc) has it's own attack table with columns dedicated to the crit size (Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, and Huge). The tables are based on the averages of the tables from Arms Law and crits happen about as often as they do in Arms Law. So the smaller the attack size the harder it is to get a crit much less a killing shot. I am also thinking of redesigning the crit tables a little to reflect certain ideas I have. This whole process of redesigning the crit tables for HARP will eventually include options for armor and damage reduction. I am trying to move away from the idea that heavy armor and high ability to avoid getting hit are simply numbers that affect the opponents ability to hit you. I understand it's all in the way it is described but one of the reasons I loved Rolemaster so much is that fact that it differentiated that on their combat charts. I really dislike the way D&D does it with AC as I think it should be different effects overall. My idea right now is that armor not only reduces the damage taken but also the level of the crit. Again this will be based on the averages I get out of Rolemaster along with balance issues in HARP. So far it all looks really good though I haven't playtested it very much. Tulgurth from these forums did experience my combat tables when he played in a HARP Maptool game I ran online last year.

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:23:49 PM »
Sounds really interesting.  I would love to look at what you have when you feel ready.  I agree with you about the way armor shows up in RM vs Harp.  It makes sense in Harp, but I miss the way weapon differentiation shows up in RM.  I also like the low level battering high armor takes, but keeps you safer from crits which are the real danger.  So drive on and don't forget to share!

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
I think Thom has been working on a combat system for Harp that has a lot more differentiation between weapons.  From the comments I've read about it I am looking forward to seeing his idea.

Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 01:55:52 AM »
This is a product that if the playtesting works out ok and the RM people like it enough might end up being sold as a book either in of itself or as an addition to some other book. The playtesting thing is a real slow process because I haven't been able to playtest my combat tables that much and I haven't tested my action point system at all. I did test for a few sessions when I first designed it back in 2010 but that was with a group of mostly inexperienced role players. The major point I need to get to testing in my action point system is its use at higher levels. One optional rule I will be testing is that your skill ranks in the skill being used adds to your initiative score which affects the action point cost for your actions. The current base rule is that your character level adds to your initiative score. So we'll see how all that goes. In the action point system I designed there is more of a difference in all weapon types. I know that part has some things that need to be corrected which is something I will bring up once I start using the action point system.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!