Author Topic: Cover art from various SM2 products  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Cover art from various SM2 products
« on: March 08, 2015, 07:52:59 PM »
Tony Roberts and Jeff Ridge seemed to create most of the covers for SM2 products.  Years ago my middle school had a book with sci-fi art that included the painting from the Star Strike Vessel Compendium #2--I've always regretted not offering to buy it.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to obtain legal, electronic copies of any of their works, perhaps as an e-book or something similar?  My Google-fu is failing me.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Cover art from various SM2 products
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:19:19 AM »
There have been a few threads in the past about stuff like this and, unfortunately, most that stuff is lost to time.

I always kick myself for not buying a Brom print when I had the chance (the Elven-like warrior in yellow/blue-purple armor with a dragon flying overhead in the mist in the background).  I would so have that framed and all the wall these days.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 06:03:58 AM »
Most of those covers were second-use, meaning they had previously been published elsewhere (usually as the cover of some SF novel), and ICE bought one-time usage of the art; it was a money-saving measure as such art was much less expensive than commissioning original art.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 01:20:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Do you know anyone or of any resources that has a complete listing of all of the cover artists?