Author Topic: Idea for Monsters Designated OK for PC use With GM Approval  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Idea for Monsters Designated OK for PC use With GM Approval
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:30:53 AM »
It looks like at least two of the common "cannon fodder" monsters of other games, goblins and kobolds, have four abilities as monsters. This goes against the "three is enough" rule, while their stat adjustments work just fine with existing PC rules.

So I'm deciding between leaving at as it is because "Sunlight Intolerance" is a species limitation (thank you HARP SF), or saying "Pick three of the four abilities" and considering Sunlight Intolerance as part of the Night Vision.

Which way would you go? Thank you.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Idea for Monsters Designated OK for PC use With GM Approval
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 08:56:28 AM »
They have 4 abilities precisely because they suffer Sunlight Intolerance as a species limitation. (That's the official view from those of us involved in the HARP Fantasy enhancement, Bestiary, and Folkways projects).

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »
Okay, thank you. What advice do you have for races/species who'd have multiple limitations?
#LotorAllura2024

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
Each limitation should get the race an additional ability. However if the race has 2 limitations, then it may be a bad choice for a PC race.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 08:29:25 PM »
Interesting. While not originally one of my conversion plans, I have started making a conversion of World Tree species to HARP. Most of them have managed to keep their flavor, though I am having difficulty getting keeping theme with Sleeth and Zi Ri, both of which have a handful of limitations, along with a high number of abilities.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 11:58:20 PM »
Try using level or extra DP as another balancing point.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 02:38:13 PM »
Come to think of it, some of their multiple limitations could be a single limitation, then the extra DP for the other additional abilities. For example, Sleeth have paws not hands (quadrupeds), therefore "no weapons" and "armor limitation" are part of having paws instead of hands. Their major ability from their home system is weak Telekinesis that only affects animal matter. Which might require delving into HARP Sci Fi.

The Zi Ri's bonuses to meditation in fire I could reskin to faster Power Point recovery, though given that PP recycle quickly in HARP anyway, I may completely drop that ability.
#LotorAllura2024