Author Topic: Race without talents  (Read 2660 times)

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Race without talents
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »
I'm considering using humans without any talents, but giving them extra DP at character creation, similarly to RMU.

At the moment, I have them at +60DP because that what I get to when I estimate the cost of the racial talents. Is this close to being correct?

I also noticed that the species descriptions in HARP SF have the DP Cost associated to them. They are all at none (I think) and there's no mention as to what it is for. I suppose it's for the possibility of creating races/species with greater talents, but at a DP cost. Just guessing.

I'm probably getting ahead of future products with this. ;)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Race without talents
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 02:31:59 PM »
I too, thought it was odd that they included a DP Cost listing, with none of the species costing extra DP. That said, I'm not a fan of "paying to be a race". At the same time, check out the responses in my topic about ICE Approved Monsters as PC races.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:02:40 PM »

I also noticed that the species descriptions in HARP SF have the DP Cost associated to them. They are all at none (I think) and there's no mention as to what it is for. I suppose it's for the possibility of creating races/species with greater talents, but at a DP cost. Just guessing.

Read bottom of page 41. We were able to avoid having to use it for the core races but the option exists.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 04:43:18 PM »

Read bottom of page 41. We were able to avoid having to use it for the core races but the option exists.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Indeed, didn't remember seeing that. But what if a race has no talents or limitations?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 04:32:09 PM »

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Indeed, didn't remember seeing that. But what if a race has no talents or limitations?

Best wishes,
Nicholas

On average, 50 points are allocated to talents, but we did not aim for every race matching up precisely on the same number of points costing.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 07:12:29 AM »
Thanks Nicholas,

I used 60 DP because the other races ended up with either 55 or 60. 50 is consistent with GCP design patterns and it's the original number I have in mind.

I will give them all another look when I get a chance. :)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 07:51:02 AM »
I don't want to hijack dagohir's topic, but that DP range is quite helpful for adjusting my conversion of World Tree species. Though it also leads to the question of DP costs for monster abilities.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 08:38:48 AM »
I don't want to hijack dagohir's topic, but that DP range is quite helpful for adjusting my conversion of World Tree species. Though it also leads to the question of DP costs for monster abilities.

It's the whole point of the topic ;)

From what I know, which is very little, it is very similar for monsters. We will all have to wait for the monster book to come out to get the grimy details.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 07:13:32 AM »
Given that some monster abilities are talents that PCs can use, some of the work is already done for us. Costs for Natural Weapons, and each level of Tough Hide is currently what I need.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 12:17:45 PM »
Armor is like 15 at the low end and goes up all of the way to almost 200 at the high end. I don't have the breakdown in front of me, but it was like 15, 30, 60, 90... if I remember correctly.

Natural Weapons were like 10 each for everything after the 1st attack type.

The rest you'll need to wait for the final product for... :)

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 12:32:41 PM »
The rest you'll need to wait for the final product for... :)

Impatiently wait for the final product ;)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 08:36:15 AM »
I found the DP costs for some of these things in the Genetic Adaptation table in HARP SF, along with descriptions of some of them in the same source's Master Talent List. Of course, the descriptions would also be under Monster Abilities in Fantasy.
#LotorAllura2024