Author Topic: New weapon, Kamas. What stats would it have?  (Read 2409 times)

Online Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
New weapon, Kamas. What stats would it have?
« on: April 21, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »
One of my new players wants to play a Gryx monk and she wants to use Kamas (smaller sickle like martial arts weapons).
Is there a current weapon that someone thinks I can base this on or should I create from scratch?
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New weapon, Kamas. What stats would it have?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:03:31 PM »
Although I was ninja obsessed as a kid thanks to another kid, I don't understand why we need weapons that are basically the same but with different names and stats. I say that as someone who used to like laundry lists of weapons. I'd just use the sickle and describe it as having a straighter blade.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »
There's a table for the Kama in the Martial Arts Companion.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 05:20:06 PM »
(psst... HARP!  ;)  )
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 06:21:17 PM »
Ah, yeah, just checking if you were all paying attention.

Nothing to see here, carry on...

:o
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 03:15:56 PM »
Check out the Kolran from Harp Martial Law.  It is sub-labeled as a Kama, though it is listed as a gnomish weapon so may be a tad small for a Gryx.

Hope this helps,
-Pyrotech

Online Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 12:48:36 PM »
Ah, yeah, just checking if you were all paying attention.

Nothing to see here, carry on...

:o
Yeah I see that.... or are you just trying to get everyone to play RM again....lol
Check out the Kolran from Harp Martial Law.  It is sub-labeled as a Kama, though it is listed as a gnomish weapon so may be a tad small for a Gryx.

Hope this helps,
Oh I forgot about the re-naming of some weapons to better fit the "fantasy" ideal. Thanks!

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 07:52:33 AM »
Oh I forgot about the re-naming of some weapons to better fit the "fantasy" ideal. Thanks!

In the older version of Martial Law--I don't have the current one yet--I found this distracting with oriental weapons renamed in Elvish.
#LotorAllura2024

Online Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 11:03:54 PM »

In the older version of Martial Law--I don't have the current one yet--I found this distracting with oriental weapons renamed in Elvish.

I agree. But what I think HARP was trying to do is make it a little more unique. They did the same thing with making the Gryx instead of using the half-orc from another game system and the Gryx works quite well. Then they also did it with adding the Gryphon to Cyradon as a playable race. I am one GM that doesn't allow the Gryphon as a playable race because it doesn't really fit in my ideal of the game.

Consequently that is also a big reason why I have not played HARP SF just yet. The races in that game are to alien for a lot of people to play. I am looking for a way to make them more human like but still be unique.
It is hard enough for a GM to keep the pace with the role playing in a session to also keep up with having to gauge reactions to every NPC an alien (or non humanoid) race meets. I have met many good GM's in my time and some may play it well at first but over time the alien race in the PC's group just becomes another 'normal' race. An example is the 5th ed game I am in. I am playing a draconian of which is not a normal race in the D&D world and are extremely rare. At first the reactions of the regular folk was a very nervous and cautious one. Now even children react to me as though I am no different than everyone else (even when meeting them for the first time).  I don't blame the GM because he does weave a good story and we are a party of about 7 or 8. Having to do the reactions of the NPC's all the time can take a lot of time out of the adventure and put a lot of focus on one character. We even had a Tiefling join the group last session and because of the pace of the game people just don't react to either of us.  In the game I am running I have already started planning for the differences in the game play by having a Gryx in the party and I know I will get tired of doing that. But it is easy to make the Gryx somewhat common in the game I am running right now. The party is on Anias about a year before the fall of Tarahir and the exodus to Belynar. So there is a war going on and lots of refugees are heading towards Tarahir.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 10:54:52 AM »
I would say that the races in HARP SF were more about showing what races can be created, than saying these are the standards you should play with.  Not that they are not playable races, but that they are just a small sampling.  Anyone running HARP SF will likely be playing with many wildly different races (or be playing with almost entirely human parties).  Most will go humanoid and "animalistic" - but if they want to go very new and different - it can be done.

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 11:52:51 AM »
The last TSR game before WotC stopped calling TSR a subsidary, Alternity, presented species that were similar enough to humans or existing Sci Fi (or Fantasy) species, as well as a couple that were truly alien. I think HARP SF also has a good mix, and while Blood Talents were dropped in favor of Genetic Adaptations and Subspecies, it keeps a lot of the flavor the same.

My current group in which I am currently playing Pathfinder, running World Tree as written (for some of the same people), is looking toward HARP SF as the next Monday night game. I admit I have to read a bit more about the psionics in particular, but except for some abilities I find the Madji pretty close to human.
#LotorAllura2024