Author Topic: Nerve Strikes and Locking Holds - confused  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Nerve Strikes and Locking Holds - confused
« on: June 03, 2015, 07:01:42 AM »
So in reading MAC for nerve strikes it says "This skill may not exceed the Degree 1 damage threshold unless a Weapon Style skill or Martial Arts Style skill that allows the user to exceed this limitation accompanies it."

Am I correct that nerve strikes is developed for all 4 degrees, like MA Strikes?

Do Nerve Strikes and Locking Holds work in RMFRG without MAC?
My campaign is using RMFRG, but as its not a martial arts setting, and we are trying to minimize some of the rules, I wanted to avoid Martial Arts Styles.

Is it reasonable to just allow development of Degree 1-4 Nerve Strikes and have combat resolve the same way MA strikes would, except using the nerve strike critical table?

Thanks,
Mal

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Nerve Strikes and Locking Holds - confused
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:24:33 AM »
Is it reasonable to just allow development of Degree 1-4 Nerve Strikes and have combat resolve the same way MA strikes would, except using the nerve strike critical table?

No. Nerve strikes and locking holds give significantly more severe criticals, there needs to be some additional cost. You don't necessarily have to handle it the same way as MAC, you could for example just increase the DP cost of the skill, but otherwise you will be giving the martial artist a power boost for free.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 08:36:20 AM »
Thanks.  I'll talk with my GM about a higher cost.

Mal

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 08:39:36 AM »
As you don't want to use the MAC with Styles I would limit it to only degree I level. This is powerful and would unbalance the system if used like MA Strikes 1-4. You could also impose that the skill Anatomy Lore be a requirement and ranks can't exceed the ranks in that skill.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 09:05:58 AM »
So in reading MAC for nerve strikes it says "This skill may not exceed the Degree 1 damage threshold unless a Weapon Style skill or Martial Arts Style skill that allows the user to exceed this limitation accompanies it."

Am I correct that nerve strikes is developed for all 4 degrees, like MA Strikes?

Do Nerve Strikes and Locking Holds work in RMFRG without MAC?
My campaign is using RMFRG, but as its not a martial arts setting, and we are trying to minimize some of the rules, I wanted to avoid Martial Arts Styles.

Thanks,
Mal

Yes, it is reasonable.  Simplify as you see fit.  I myself eliminated the restricted rulings on Nerve Strikes and Locks and Holds.  Finding a teacher now, different story.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 06:40:16 PM »
IMHO it is up to the GM but I would use the rules as written for LH and NS.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 02:04:05 PM »
I've been refining my approach to MA in RM, I am planning on moving Nerve Strikes to Combat Maneuvers and making it a Restricted skill. Then use the lower ranked skill, either Nerve Strike or the attack paired with it. This would allow someone grappling to apply a nerve strike, or someone with a suitable weapon (staff, club, etc.). I may end up treating it like paired weapon, where you have to develop nerve strike with specific attacks. Note, I do not use the MA Combat Maneuvers category, I've placed those skills in Combat Maneuvers and made mosr of them restricted.