Author Topic: Philosophy of the human race design  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Gathar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Philosophy of the human race design
« on: June 11, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »
Hello again,

Since I've upgraded my game to the new edition, my players are wondering about the human race. They already had the feeling that the human race was one of the best ones to play, but it got even better, to the point that they don't see why would anybody ever play another race (from the technical point of view, of course, which is the focus of this discussion).

For instance, on stat bonuses. The human has the possibility of having each bonus match a stat where it matters. In the original version, it was compensated with slightly less bonuses in total. With the revised edition, humans have as much bonuses as the other races.

Human already had decent racial talents, now they have their weakest one (a gain of 5DP if they wanted to multiclass) replaced by skill flexibility that is I believe the best racial talent (if the skill is one that will be maxed out, which seems logical, it represents a gain of 6DP/level, more than 10%).

And more important, each talent of the human will be used where it matters to the player. A dwarf magician won't care much about dense musculature, the quiet stride of the elf won't help him much if subterfuge is not his career choice. But the human can choose.

I think this is the only modification I can spot in the races section. And I wonder: Was the human somehow considered weaker than the other races? I understand that the humans were designed to be the kings of flexibility. But now, it seems this flexibility goes hand in hand with the fire-power... Am I the only one to feel that way?