Author Topic: "Growth" spell: What are the effects on the target?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Gathar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
"Growth" spell: What are the effects on the target?
« on: June 13, 2015, 10:30:59 AM »
Imagine one of my players casts the growth spell on himself. Ok, he becomes twice as big, and so what?

Does that make him stronger? How much? (if you follow the laws of physics, he would need to be much stronger, or just collapse on himself, and since his weight has been multiplied by 8, but his muscle section only by 4, he would have a difficult time). Are there any other stat changes?

His he considered a large creature for receiving critical? Is the size of its attacks increased?

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: "Growth" spell: What are the effects on the target?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 01:01:10 PM »
This is purely a spell for the Houri ;)

It has no impact on size, crits, strenght etc. afaik!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 01:09:05 PM »
Hmmm.  I don't remember any growth spells in Harp so I can't use them as a reference of the top of my mind.

But if I were to build a growth spell I would probably have it grant the same modifiers as the giantism trait.  I'd probably set them to scale as well.  +10% to height and weight and +1 ST mod bonus per level of scaling.  Scaling to a Large creature would cost a lot more, and scaling to a huge creature would be very high. 

I've never got very involved with spell creation though, so I'm pretty sure someone else here is going to have a much better handle on this.

Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »
I refer to RM2 sorry!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Gathar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »
Hmmm.  I don't remember any growth spells in Harp so I can't use them as a reference of the top of my mind.

Sorry, it's in college of magics, p98, a spell for the vivamancer:
Quote from: College of Magics
Description: Caster can alter target’s size, enlarging him and his possessions to twice his original size.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 05:39:27 PM »
This is what I would do: In HARP the weapon size (not the size of the person making the attack) determines the attack size. Any weapons would do the same "size" damage as before unless of course they also increased in size. But if the individual who was enlarged used brawling, boxing, martial arts, or wrestling attacks (all using only hands and feet) then I would say they also increase with the size increase. I would also use the guidelines for the giantism talent and say that for every 50% size increase they get a +5 to strength, which in turn is applied to any attacks made while in giant form.

Now the exception would be for brawling and if they found an alternative weapon (like a 6x6 beam from a structure) then that weapons attack would increase with the growth size increase...
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »
A very good question. At the moment, the spell does not explicitly give the target any "Giantism" style benefits., so it could be strictly interpreted as it only gives the physical size and makes them able to be that size. If it did explicitly provide the talent-like capabilities, it properly should be costed for that .
Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme