Author Topic: Strange Lack of Activity on the HARP Forums  (Read 5664 times)

Offline kwickham

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Aioskoru
Re: Strange Lack of Activity on the HARP Forums
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
For me, a desire to play MERP again -> a review. The review -> RMX.  I bought RMX. RMX -> this forum. Lack of RMX stuff available anywhere -> look for more info. In looking for more info -> look at RMU Beta2. RMU Beta2 -> research of past systems, a path going through HARP.

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 01:22:42 PM »
Nicholas, you are correct, there were a couple products after CoM, but check the years of release for those... that was really the point.

I get that this is not a big-time business and you have to be creative with how things get done, but I am concerned that it is becoming a lot like Mjolnir, lots of explanations of problems (which are completely legitimate) but less problem solving...

Anyway, I don't want to bring more negativity to the thread than I already have.  I will say that I really like the quality of product that Harp has in its line and will buy every one that comes out, although probably the window for playing has closed for my group.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 07:52:07 AM »
although probably the window for playing has closed for my group.

I don't work for a game company, and I don't understand this line. Are you saying the lack of current support prevents your group from playing? If so, I find that ridiculous because there is so much you can do with what is already available.

I too, am waiting for more of the products, particularly the Bestiary and Folkways, and not being able to buy them yet is not going to prevent me from running or playing HARP.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 10:46:51 AM »
Zhaleskra,
I think I can provide some feedback to your question as I have a friend that may think the same way.
 He likes to use created material and then alter it in some way to make it his own, so if the company is not producing material then he is stuck as he cannot create his own. He says it is lack of time on his part but the main fact is that he has a lot of trouble starting from an idea and fully flushing it out to where it is fun and enjoyable.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »
I understand a little, during my AD&D2E days I bought way too many expansion books. Eventually, during the run of the Planescape setting, I realized I was relying too much on the imaginations of others.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 09:42:44 PM »
Zhaleskra, I understand what you are saying.  In my younger days I had more time for gaming stuff, but these days I just don't.  We are more social gamers now I guess, I like a bit of conversational community around the game and definately need setting material prepackaged.  Harp hit the spot for us with mechanics for the most part, but just felt dead for lack of new material.  We moved to Gurps and use Pathfinder for setting now.  Both have new things coming out regularly, and have lots of discussion and a vibrant community. 

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 11:02:17 PM »
As Nicholas has indicated and in the briefings he has shared, there are numerous HARP projects in the works.
Folkways, Bestiary, adventures, setting material and more....  Sorry to hear you opted to check out other options, but hopefully as the products are released you'll see that while the wait may have been long - the products that come out bring you back.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 09:06:04 AM »
darb, I'm going to change the wording of my reply so it doesn't sound contrived while still conveying the same message. As adults, we usually don't have as much free time as we did as teenagers, and we still have some. Yes, there is the time we have dedicated to our jobs, commuting to and from them, and other things we have scheduled, and there are still places we can use for creativity. My suggestion is to do something small and creative rather than a grand plan: don't spend more than an hour coming up with something, and after a few such sessions the grand plan will work itself out. You've certainly got an unoccupied hour somewhere, right?
#LotorAllura2024

Offline kwickham

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Aioskoru
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
Maybe it is time for some generous GMs to donate more player made content in the meantime, to the vault. I know it is not professional, but it may help.

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 01:18:31 PM »
Is there any real demand for settings for HARP?  I've got a fantasy setting (really two set in the same world divided by an ocean and large culteral differences) that I've got about 80% written up. 

I was intending to offer it to TGC but it was such a large undertaking to finish and edit (dwarving my bughunters 2155 setting conversion) that I've never gotten around to it.  I've always figured that most people had their own settings and weren't that interested in others, so I've never been very motivated to actually finish this.

If there are people looking for this kind of thing, I could prioritize it with my Harp S-F article on Mecha that is currently stalled and get back to work on it.

Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 01:29:05 PM »
I think original adventures would be more in demand than settings. I certainly would appreciate it.

I use to have my own setting but I have since moved to Cyradon for Harp, which I slightly modified to suit my gaming style. Having some ready made adventures would help me greatly as my personal output is extremely slow. So slow I have put Harp games on hiatus while I build my Cyradon storyline.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 02:20:42 PM »
I could see both adventures and setting being helpful especially if they are free or reasonably priced as I know of young kids who need inspiration and help as well as older people who take parts of various products and drop them info their own world.
A good free interesting setting would go a long way to help out HARP IMHO.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 02:37:23 PM »
In my opinion, we need to get Cyradon re-released, we need to get HARP support for Shadow World, and we need to continue releasing adventures that are either for those settings or easily adaptable to multiple settings.

On the HARP SF side... I would love to see Bughunters or a similar setting made available.  I like Tintamar, but I am a huge Starship Trooper fan...  Even if it were not a full settings, a series of adventures along those lines would be great too.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 02:45:25 PM »
IMHO a mixed SCi FI and Magic setting would also be welcome for both RM and HARP.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 02:49:12 PM »
So along those lines - would sci-fi magic be like "the Force" in Star Wars or Farscape's mysical powers or ET's anti-gravity gifts?
What about sci-fi mixed with divine magic - like Dominion?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 05:04:53 PM »
I could see any of them and I myself enjoy future settings that mix magic, psionics and tech but the trouble is getting the mix just right and if you limit it to a planet, system, galaxy, dimension, etc and how you get to said places or can you get there by magic, tech and psionics.

Yes you can have a post apoc world/setting like W40K, Shadowrun and Dominion, a Firefly type setting, Farscape, Star Wars and some of the strange stuff on Star Trek. I generally prefer my future settings based on hard science (with a lot do not like) or way out there with magic and psionics.

MDC   
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 05:10:53 PM »
I ran a Spacemaster game that included ritualistic magic and that worked quite well in not too distant future earth setting.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 05:13:19 PM »
Don't forget steampunk too.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »
Your are right I did forget Stream Punk which can be/might be an untapped segment as again it is tough to get the balance right.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 07:52:39 PM »
Got it...not sure what I'll do with these thoughts that are now going through my head - but you've definitely got the imagination considering different possibilities.