Author Topic: Hack & Slash and older books  (Read 1903 times)

Offline jasonyarnell

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hack & Slash and older books
« on: October 28, 2015, 07:36:38 AM »
As I stated in an earlier post, I'm just coming back into the fold of HARP and trying to get situated.

As I understand it, the current, up-to-date books are the green cover books:
  • HARP
  • College of Magic
  • Martial Law

The books that are in the pipeline are:
  • Folkways
  • Bestiary
  • Loot: a Field Guide
  • Something Wicked
  • The Construct Toolkit

With both Bestiary and Folkways nearly completed.

So now I'm wondering how compatible some of the older books are. Specifically the following:
  • Hack & Slash (the combat tables mainly)
  • The Codex
  • HARPer's Bazaar Annual
  • HARPer's Grimoire

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Hack & Slash and older books
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 08:32:04 AM »
I have used Hack & Slash without any apparent issues with the updated Harp. I don't think there's any issue with Loot either. I can't say anything about the others as I either don't have them or haven't looked at them.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:00:58 AM »
I doubt you'll have issues with Loot or Hack & Slash as the enhancements done really should not have impacted those products - though some of the material in Loot related to enchanting and runes may be costed differently in the future.

For the others - off the top of my head (may not be 100% accurate/complete)
Codex - again some costing changes should be expected and maybe tweaks to the spell parameters
Hack & Slash - for the combat tables should be OK as is
Grimoire - product was pulled and will not be made available - parts that could be used were included in Codex
Bazaar Annual - unlikely to be revised -
* Races - won't comply with new costing standards so they may present balance issues
* Cultures - should be OK
* Blood Talents - similar to Races
* Professions - won't comply with current costing standards so they may present balance issues
* Clerical Orders - should be OK in general, but will need tweaking to fit the spell counts
* Casting traditions - should be OK, but I have not reviewed it in detail
* Combat - effectively the same as Hack & Slash
* New Magic Items - would need detailed review, but should be OK as is
* Additional Optional Rules - generally not recommended, but I prefer to follow rules as written and don't like to apply optional rules
* Irregular Stats - don't recommend - I am a strong believer in the HARP stats being a reference to the standard for the race and that comparison between races should be applied with racial stat bonus modifiers.
* Monsters - these would require significant adjusting to comply with the new monster creation system - the old system was identified to have numerous issues and it underwent a complete overhaul - which has resulted in the basis currently being used for Bestiary, Something Wicked and other adventure and setting updates
     By the way - the new elementals material being compiled by Nicholas will go much further than the short version included in HB Annual.

I hope that answers your questions.  If you have any specific questions about tweaks that should be considered, please let us know and we'll be glad to provide some thoughts

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline jasonyarnell

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 10:37:38 AM »
Very cool. Thank you.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 02:22:37 PM »
I think the various Directors Briefings have also said that there are setting materials or revised setting materials in the works as well.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 05:04:25 PM »
The old edition of Loot will be mostly OK but we will be doing some recostings and modest changes when we reissue it. And a cover more in tune with the rest of the line.

Hack & Slash is included in print version of Bazaar Annual. Portions of Codex will return but the old version is out of synch with current spell costing and profession balance.

Cyradon and various adventure modules for Cyradon and elsewhere are in the works too.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 01:50:04 PM »

By the way - the new elementals material being compiled by Nicholas will go much further than the short version included in HB Annual.

This is very good news.  Just out of curiousity, are you all going to expand on the Wildlings?  I always liked those creatures, but felt they needed a little more uummpphh behind them.  ::)
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »

This is very good news.  Just out of curiousity, are you all going to expand on the Wildlings?  I always liked those creatures, but felt they needed a little more uummpphh behind them.  ::)

Not being targeted for HARP Bestiary. However the Elementals to appear in HARP Bestiary are not the only elemental creatures and beings.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the information Nicholas.  Looking forward to the Bestiary!   :)
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!