Author Topic: Weather errata  (Read 1534 times)

Offline GamemasterAlf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Weather errata
« on: December 20, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »
I do enjoy playing weather in my campaign and came across something i would consider in conflict in the published materials
Maybe its because I live in "Winter"peg and can see what changes -40 weather to 100 degree weather can make in people that I like putting the characters through freezing rain or sweltering heat and the issues they have to deal with because of this.

The issue I noticed
Sarnak is described as having a balmy climate so much so that the people wear very light clothing year round

But the Emer Atlas I describes Voronia a few hundred mile to the north as having winter temperatures down to 15 degrees. Now that would be a balmy winter to me from -40, but I still would not be going out in just a toga in that weather

Sarnak located on the back end of the Bay of Izar  a nearly enclosed bay, would not be subject to ocean current effects
As the Bay is practically surrounded by mountians  warm air would not be blowing in - although cold air flows could be kept out by this

Not sure if there was some sort of rationalization for this that I cannot see otherwise I think the two are in conflict

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Weather errata
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »
I think Sarnak is roughly in what would be the sub-tropical region of the planet, but I think if anything doesn't make sense about local weather, blame an Essence Flow. Those things have got to mess up the regular weather systems.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:48:42 AM »
central Emer is not far from the equator, and the Bay is warm and probably keeps Sarnak warmer than Vornia, which is open to the north. And egdcltd is right of course, the Flows affect weather patterns.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline GamemasterAlf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 07:31:56 AM »
Thanks for the feedback

It made me do some work with latitude and Sarnak would be roughly 20 degrees north about the same place as Mexico City or Bangalore India

This gives the warmer temperature a more appropriate choice for the area and yes Vornia could be subject to colder north winds funneled in by the 2 mountain ranges

The temperature in the 2 cities mentioned on our world  can get down to 50 to 60 degrees in the winter, not really snow weather but not what I would think of as balmy either. The bay would be a moderating factor keeping the temperature fluctuations smaller, so I can see it working. Although there would likely be a slightly cooler season. Time for the fashionable cloaks to come out

I cannot however subscribe to the statements made on essence affecting the climate, at least not on a long term basis. Through all the literature published it is described as a highly erratic force.

Yes a blizzard at the equator but not permanent arctic conditions there.