Author Topic: HARP alternate combat system NDA  (Read 47973 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
HARP alternate combat system NDA
« on: June 13, 2016, 06:41:35 PM »
This thread is intended solely for agreeing to the Non Disclosure Agreement listed below for an alternative to the HARP combat system. If you are interested in playtesting this alternative combat system for HARP please respond with an "I agree" reply. Please note that if you add other comments your "I agree" may be missed and unintentionally get passed over.

HARP Alternate Combat System NDA.

Unless stated otherwise, I may modify this PA at any time and the changes will become effective upon posting on this forum on the www.ironcrown website. Your continued participation in this playtesting of this non official combat system designed for HARP constitutes your acceptance of this PA, including any changes, variations or successor agreements that may be posted as noted above.

1. Ownership. Guild Companion Publications Ltd owns all right, title and interest in and to (a) the ideas, concepts, brands and products associated with HARP and Rolemaster. This combat system is not an official product of HARP. The copyright of all new elements devised and written by me are held by me (Bruce Meyer).
2. Eligibility. To be eligible to be a playtester for this combat system, you must have a current and valid ironcrown.com Account.

3. Playtest Materials. You may receive, download from the playtest thread, or otherwise have access to this alternative combat system for HARP as part of your participation in the evaluation of this system. I, Bruce Meyer, grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-assignable license for your personal use of such Playtest Materials solely for the purposes of playtesting the Playtest Materials and providing feedback to me regarding this Playtest combat system.

4. Feedback. You may provide feedback, thoughts, comments, ideas, questions and suggestions about this combat system for HARP on these forums and in particular in the playtest thread. You are solely responsible for any and all Feedback you provide and such Feedback will not violate the intellectual property rights of any third party.

5. Confidentiality. As part of your participation as a playtester in this combat system you will receive Playtest Materials that are proprietary and confidential to me, Bruce Meyer. You agree not to copy, excerpt, distribute (either in physical or digital format), publish, display, disseminate, release and/or transmit, in whole or in part, or create derivative materials from any Playtest Materials provided to you. You further agree that you will not use the Playtest Materials for your own benefit (other than to use it in your games for playtest) or to the benefit of any third party. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may publicly discuss your thoughts regarding this combat system designed for HARP and your playtesting experience.

That completes the Playtesting Agreement. After replying with "I agree" you will be granted access to a private forum dedicated to the playtesting of this alternative combat system for HARP. Please be patient in waiting for your access to be approved.

Thank you.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: HARP alternate combat system NDA
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 10:10:28 PM »
I agree.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 02:23:10 PM »
I agree.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 05:20:33 PM »
I agree
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Saturn830

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 03:22:08 PM »
I agree.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 08:30:30 PM »
Anyone who has responded with their agreement should have access at this time.
If not, please PM me.

New people agreeing will be updated as I review (at least once per day)
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline WickedBar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 07:14:48 AM »
I agree.

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 08:37:54 AM »
I agree.
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline GuernseyMan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »
I agree

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 02:43:06 PM »
Please at least let me know if you were able to download the files once access was granted

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 11:46:29 AM »
I agree.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 07:50:45 PM »
ok, we futzed around with it a bit last night.  I liked it, much more than I thought I would.  First off, I was skeptical because I thought that the one roll combat of HARP was a feature, but we have been playing GURPS and D&D lately, which is two roll anyway so it was fine.

We used the crit charts of RMU, and were basically just doing some simple character vs character combats, so no real tactics, terrain or interesting magic.  The characters were 3rd or 4th level, so moderate skill levels and no obtrusive objects.  We tend to be quite conservative with parry, so generally split evenly until some advantage.

I noticed that the additional effects (stun, - action, bleed, whatever) start a bit later on the chart than standard HARP and thought that maybe it would make combat a bit more of a grind.  It did, but in not at all a bad way.  Crits were exciting again, because they were not so very common.  It also smoothed out some of the death spiral effect one can get with the other methods (you get a stun and then the other guy all-outs on you and keeps you down).  The effect in the end was actually really good, especially with the RMU crits that also damped down on that effect as well.  As an aside, I used to think the very lethal nature of RM combat was great, and expected something like that with HARP, but now days I am not sure it is so great the way it works.  It is usually really random, a good roll one time will usually end the combat.  I like more lethal than D&D but not quite as random as RM.  This actually felt good, combat was tense but didn't have a feeling that your hero had a 10% chance of death with each roll.... Overall, it was considered a very good direction for HARP.  We had tried all the other systems and sort of got burned out on them.  It does make us (well, this is just me) think about dropping in more of RMU combat system, as far as armor types vs DB....

We liked it enough that we will put together an encounter or two with something and try it a bit more but right now it looks like it will be our system of choice if we come back to HARP.  Well done! 

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 04:35:53 PM »
I agree
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 05:24:44 PM »
Files downloaded OK, hope to get to do something with them soon
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 03:22:27 AM »
I agree.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 07:19:34 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  Access added
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 08:07:27 PM »
Everyone that is gaining access to the files please note that there is a discussion board for this system in the child boards. Only those agreeing to the NDA have access to these discussion boards.

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »
I agree.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »
I agree.