Author Topic: Knee-jerk reincarnation rules  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Radimon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Knee-jerk reincarnation rules
« on: May 01, 2018, 11:30:33 PM »
   The way I see it, levels don't start at the age of maturity. I'm sure we all knew plenty of students in high school who probably counted as level 2 or 3, despite not being 18 yet. I'm sure we all knew that one know-it-all who was already a level 10 intellectual... or we were that kid.
   Conversely, even twenty years later, I'm not sure I've gotten to level 2.
   Now, let's look at your average run-of-the-mill character, to see where 'level 1' is. An average member of society has 2d10+40 points in each stat (average: 51), 38 skill ranks from their cultural background (not including human bonus ranks), and 20 more ranks from their profession. Rogue seems like a good class to use to describe Joe Average, since it's uncomplicated and only gives a single benefit, which amounts to the equivalent of a single skill rank at level 1.
   So, here's what an Innocent Bystander looks like: 408 character points in stats (average of 51, times 8 stats). 118 points in skills (58 ranks at 2 per rank, plus 2 for the rogue skill bonus). 40-70 points of talents, depending on race.
   Total character points for Innocent Bystander: 566-596 points.
   Fine, so that's what happens the first time around. What happens if you go through life all over again, with all your memories intact, and get to pick up skills and boost your stats twice?
   Your mind is the same, but your body has to mature normally, and if you're not even in your own body, you could end up with a body that's below average or one that's destined for greatness. You may or may not know where you are, what world you're on, or what the situation is.
   Ultimately, you're gonna focus on things like learning to use your (new?) body all over again, learning languages (if necessary), and finding out what's going on. You'll think you've gone crazy for a while, perhaps sink into depression, and assuming you don't actually have a mental breakdown, you'll resolve yourself to starting over from square one.
   What does that mean when creating a new character with a background that includes reincarnation, or going back in time?
   It means a heck of a lot more work than the normal system, that's for sure!
   On a slightly different note: basically, if reincarnation is in your backstory, it's likely to be the cornerstone of it. Let's look at how this breaks down.
   Reincarnated characters tend to be high-powered. In movies, comics, manga, and anime, it is a common theme that characters who are reborn have the opportunity to hone their skills a second time, reaching higher heights than their ordinary counterparts. Often, this reaches excessive levels, allowing them to stand shoulder-to-shoulder or toe-to-toe with people who have (what is believed to be) far greater life experience.
   (And that's not counting those that receive some sort of cheat code during reincarnation!)
   Then again, even if you front-load the character with high mental stats and skills, there's only so far that will take you. It's a perfect way to throw a new mentally-focused character into a party of seasoned professionals (level 4 or 5, for example), or for a dead character to find his way back to the party when the cleric can't quite manage to cast lifegiving fast enough. Fact is, since you have more skills and more overall development points (about 1-2 levels more than normal), you might end up outshining everyone else, so it should not be used in a group of starting characters... unless they're all reincarnated.
   Game Master, use with caution!

First: Create a level 1 character (I think of this as the 'tutorial' character), but unlike a normal starting character, you gain only 25 discretionary development points (mostly so you can add one decent out-of-setting talent, or a couple of cheap ones). If your GM allows your character to be someone from the real world, you're almost certainly a human (or possibly a queequayth from Folkways, if you believe in Bigfoot). If you have access to HARP sci-fi, any class except adept or fusion is freely available to someone from modern society. Otherwise, the fighter, rogue, and thief from the fantasy core rules are acceptable, as are any of the new professions detailed in Folkways. Of course, if you're being reborn in-setting, anything normally available is an acceptable choice.
   Second: Pick the race of the new body you're reincarnated into. Then, throw out your strength, constitution, agility, and quickness stats. Then, roll replacement stats randomly, as per stat generation method #1 in the core rules, and assign the remaining numbers to the now-vacated stats. Replace the racial stat mods to these stats from your old race with those of your new race, as well as the racial bonuses to the following skills: endurance, power point development, resistance (stamina), and resistance (magic). All skills that have strength, constitution, agility, or quickness as one (or both) of their key stats drop to a maximum of one skill rank. You lose any talents that represent physiological traits that don't exist in your new body, and you gain all the racial talents of your new body.
   Third: Pick a new culture for you to be raised in. If the number of free skill ranks granted by your new culture (including languages) is higher than your existing number of ranks in these skills, increase them to the minimum level provided by your new culture. The
   Fourth: Will be with you, always... (OMG! We get it, Obi-Wan! Leave us alone!)
   Fifth: Pick a new profession and apply the level 1 starting bonuses for it, including but not limited to: skill ranks, bonus talents, professional skill bonuses, spell access, etc. You are limited to possessing no more than 6 ranks in a given skill, as per the rules for skill caps.
   [NOTE: Yes, you still retain the starting bonuses of your previous profession, so long as they haven't already been removed in step 2. They represent extensive training, things learned through years of study and dedication, just like the stuff you've learned in this new lifetime. You spent years (if not decades) earning first level a second time, so both times you finally reached that first DING! yields better results than normal. However, if you want to advance in the class from your previous life (assuming it's different from your new one), you must pay for the additional profession talent, as normal. In this case, you do not lose these extra bonuses which have already been acquired.]
   Sixth: At this point, you may spend your normal allotment of discretionary development points, and recalculate your skills and spells to accommodate the altered stats and talents.
   Seventh: Buy your equipment, put on the finishing touches.
   Eighth: Roll for initiative!
Murphy's Law says 'Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.'

I think Murphy was an incurable optimist.

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: Knee-jerk reincarnation rules
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 12:04:51 PM »
In various transplanted hero stories I've read in manga, traditional sf/fantasy, and litrpg I see several methods of dealing with these heroes.

1) Transplanted heroes - same person, same body - different place.  Easily accomplished in rpgs.
2) Transplanted psyche - same person different body - different place.  Harder because this includes two subtypes:
  Heroes that have local skills under their transplanted psyche (this seems to be what you are describing) and ones who just have a new body and none of the local skills it would have needed to grow up with.
3) Transplanted spirit - a baby born in the new location with an old soul from somewhere else (I've only seen this in a couple of mangas).  Very similar to a transplanted psyche but with all the weirdness of getting to grow up all over again.  It can be argued here that old culture skills (especially physical ones) would be replaced with new culture skills rather than added on here.  This could be what you are describing as well now that I think about it.

1) is very easy to do in a game.

2) and 3) seem to fit your attempts more.  But the biggest issue I see is Culture skills and Physical skills.  2a) and maybe 3) would add culture skills like you suggest.  2b) and a more realistic 3) would not - or at least not all of them.  Skills attrophy when not used for long periods. 

So you may need to be careful exactly what type of transplanted/reincarnated hero you are using.

Regards,

-Pyrotech

Offline Radimon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Knee-jerk reincarnation rules
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 07:03:39 PM »
Good points, certainly. I was specifically going for Type 3 characters: reincarnation.

So far as I know, HARP includes no rules regarding skill atrophy over time. That said, you could look at it this way: the whole point of starting with a Level 1 character to reproduce Type 3 characters is to accommodate the skill atrophy.

To put it another way, if you go from the real world to a fantasy environment, and are forced to make it through another 18 years before you level up (or maybe much, much longer, if you're reborn as an elf or whatever), you'll get much more out of that one level, and have as much immersion in their culture as you do your Earthly culture, if not more. Keep in mind, the culture of your new world includes those all-important language and literacy skills! At the same time, you'll forget information about obscure subjects you only dabbled in for a short time, or skills that are completely inapplicable in your new setting. How useful is it to know the winners for every season of American Idol in a fantasy world where there IS no such thing? How useful is it to know how to give a decent tune up to a car engine in a world where horse-drawn carriages are state of the art transportation?

Look at it this way: humans are level 1 by the time they turn 18, and level up every couple of years (in fact, you can reach level 2 in a single bad day if you're a soldier, spy, police officer, etc., but I'm taking the 2-year figure directly from the core rules). Ergo, by the age of 20, you're level 2. By the age of 30, you're level 7. By retirement age, you're over level 20!

As I alluded to above, starting with the stats for level 1 highlights the loss of the grand majority of that massive mountain of skill. Only the stuff that's indispensable information, stuff you've used heavily throughout your adult life (and perhaps your entire life, period), is what you keep when you're reborn.
Murphy's Law says 'Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.'

I think Murphy was an incurable optimist.