Author Topic: Runcori Partial Shapeshifting and Time  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Runcori Partial Shapeshifting and Time
« on: February 01, 2017, 08:04:54 AM »
In setting up my HARP Science Fantasy campaign, one of the players made their character Runcori. When I gave her the time for Limited Shapeshifting, she asked if a smaller transformation could take less time. By RAW, there's no "partial transformation", though my player gave the example of using it to reach something high up. The description does say "to complete", and nothing about partials, so I feel there is wiggle room for a house or official ruling there. Pretty sure she was thinking "I am Groot".
#LotorAllura2024

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Re: Runcori Partial Shapeshifting and Time
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 08:23:23 AM »
So, like lengthening "arms"`, adjusting height (in a minor way, no BMR effect) and changing "hair" style? Yeah, visual and stylistic is one thing, once it become practical I'd have to consider it.

The limited shapeshifting does seem to indicate larger shifts in shape (badum tsh), i.e. humanoid to non-humanoid form ... but it doesn't, as you point out, cover small stuff. I'd consider minutes, or even seconds, in some cases. It depends. I'm just starting to think of Runcori contortionist, pick pocket and lock picker...
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: Runcori Partial Shapeshifting and Time
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »
I would probably allow a player to make small changes using the disguise or contortion skills.  Perhaps even require "concentration" to maintain it like some spells and psi abilities until the character's body to properly make the changes more permanent (i.e. the 1 hour change time).

But for mostly just cosmetic stuff that adds flavor to the character or game I'd just roll with it.

Regards,
-Pyrotech