Author Topic: no attack tables needed  (Read 1733 times)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
no attack tables needed
« on: February 17, 2017, 11:27:18 PM »
break down the Arms Law attack tables. Knowing the target numbers allows weapons to be assigned a To Hit # with a critical range; dagger 68(20)3d10 means successful hit requires a total attack roll of 68 or higher and does 3d10 damage. for every 20 points over 68, an increasing severity critical is delived, A, B, C D and E

no attack tables needed

p,s. Armor provides db and can modify crits.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: no attack tables needed
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 01:08:06 AM »
I like where you're going with this.
It's like I'm programming a dice roller app or excel.
And that ain't a bad thing..  :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:04:07 PM »
We just started subtracting AT from hits rolled, minimum 1 hit. So far so good. Another addition is varying armor db versus attack type, all easily recorded on character sheet. Slash, puncture, crush, electric, cold, fire, impact, entangle and bash. Unarmed attacks face combined db of s/p/c. Still a bit cumbersome, but I really want to lose the attack tables.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 02:42:00 AM »
So.. did you compare a similar roll over different weapon/attack tables and get an idea of how the points spread vs different AT's?
I've never looked for a pattern but I like the sound of it.
Still keeping the crit tables.. right? :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »
I take it you figure this out for each table?  The subtleties of difference in various weapons vs various armors would be lost if not.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »
I've dabbled with attack tables in a very similar way to yammahoper, and with weapons that might give different criticals, for example slash (S) or crush (K), odd roll = S, even = K.

In effect, each attack table is reduced to 10 equations, one for each AT.  You can literally put every attack table onto a single sheet and the results are still fairly consistent with full tables. Then it just becomes a matter of which method is more convenient.  :)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »
I take it you figure this out for each table?  The subtleties of difference in various weapons vs various armors would be lost if not.

Armor provides DB and reduces hits. Technically there could be an AT50. The varying db's provide 'subtleties', as does a weapons critical spread.

We didn't play this weekend. No new data.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »
Not knocking the system, I like the sound of it. One of the great things about RM is that a kobold can attack an armored knight with a dagger and still have a chance of delivering a lethal blow. Armor damage reduction (mostly) negates that chance.. maybe I'm still thinking in a mindset of the current tables.

AT 20 means -20 to the hits and -20 DB so you need an 88, right? That's 3d10 -20. So a dagger might do 1-10 against AT 20, with a chance of a crit.
I'd love to hear how it works out.
Weapons would then have "weapon codes" like the current "creature codes" and you'd just keep the crit charts.
Nice.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 03:28:59 PM »
I've dabbled with attack tables in a very similar way to yammahoper, and with weapons that might give different criticals, for example slash (S) or crush (K), odd roll = S, even = K.

In effect, each attack table is reduced to 10 equations, one for each AT.  You can literally put every attack table onto a single sheet and the results are still fairly consistent with full tables. Then it just becomes a matter of which method is more convenient.  :)

I would love to see this spread sheet! :D

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The truth is subversive.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 06:27:26 PM »
Interesting idea.  I would love to do some comparison rolls for this.  One roll and see how similar the results are using both methods (this and the appropriate attack chart).  Will the spread sheet be made available?
...formerly known as Kantron.