Author Topic: Race creation system and standard races  (Read 1223 times)

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The truth is subversive.
Race creation system and standard races
« on: May 29, 2017, 06:56:07 AM »
Has anyone used the version of "standard races" as showing in Gamemaster Law using the race creation system?  Especially when using home grown races (using this system) is it better for game balance to use this version of the standard races or the commonly used ones at the beginning of the book?
...formerly known as Kantron.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Race creation system and standard races
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 12:41:26 PM »
Are they different? My impression is that the point values in RMFRP GM Law reflect their stats as written, and the only thing that is off is that the standard races sometimes have more talent points than they otherwise would have.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 05:44:02 PM »
I have used the GM Law Char creation system to design the races, cultures and subcultures for my world(If I ever get around to finishing the write-up, I plan on posting my home-brew culture/subculture creation and selection rules to TGC). There is no inherent balance in using the GMLaw system, it still requires the GM to balance the races/cultures through careful selection of the talents, stats and other choices. There is really not a whole lot of difference between the races/cultures you can create with GMLaw and the stock ones. Either way you can create completely unbalanced choices.  The GM's game style, World, and culture concepts have more influence than the rules.   It doesn't matter what the rules say, if the GM doesn't care about age, one of the realms, and other areas, it is easy to create a race that takes flaws in those areas to buff up others and break the balance.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 12:17:45 AM »
I was going to say much the same thing as netbat. I don't think the race creation rules provide any real sort of balance. What is the real value of a +10 to cooking vs everyman foraging? If any sort of valid comparison is even possible (which I doubt) it would still depend entirely on the nature of the campaign the GM is going to run.

If you can ensure no race is obviously superior or inferior by a significant margin, I'd say the result is fine, whatever process is used to get there.