Author Topic: Character Law: Stacking Talents  (Read 148 times)

Offline Frabby

• Initiate
  • OIC Points 0/0
    • Awards
Character Law: Stacking Talents
« on: June 09, 2017, 12:11:21 AM »
From Character Law #5806, p. 48:
[A] character cannot choose the same talent more than once. In addition, a character cannot choose talents that duplicate each other. For example, a character cannot take a +3 St stat bonus and a +8 St stat bonus.
Our group recently had different opinions on how to interpret this - specifically, what "duplicate" means.

One player was going to take Animal Empathy (which gives +25 for maneuvers with a certain type of animals) and combine it with Summon (which gives +20 to any skill that would allow you to direct the summoned creature's actions).
The idea was to apply this to a riding beast. If tailored to, say, horses, it would allow the character to summon a wild horse, and get +45 to all taming, control and riding attempts.
Clearly, the talents overlap when it comes to skill bonus when dealing with the specific animal; but despite the considerable overlap, these are also very different talents.

So could the player pick those two talents despite the overlap?
Or is this a case of duplicate effects, because the +25 and +20 stack, and thus forbidden?

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points 0/0
    • Awards
Re: Character Law: Stacking Talents
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 01:47:09 AM »
I wouldn't allow these to stack. However, if you don't think a +45 bonus to these skills is going to hurt your game, it's not necessarily unreasonable to allow it.

I'm quite strict on Talent selection, because I find that's the easiest way to avoid combinations that I don't like -- I've gone through and weeded out most of the talents, leaving a list of 50 - 60 that are allowed, and don't allow any talent selections that have any duplicate effects at all. That's just me though.

Offline Pazuzu

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points 0/0
    • Awards
Re: Character Law: Stacking Talents
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »
When I GM, I allow only one bonus to apply. If a character has more than one talent that provides a bonus to a skill or stat, they only get to use the highest bonus.

Conversely, for flaws, if they have more than one flaw that affects a skill or stat, the penalties DO stack.

This seems to keep the worst of the problems in check.

Real Roleplaying