Author Topic: RMSS vs RMFRP: SCSM  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Heimdallsgothi

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMSS vs RMFRP: SCSM
« on: October 06, 2018, 11:55:58 PM »
RMSS uses this formula
Spell Casting Static Maneuver Roll = 1d100 (open-ended) + 50 + caster skill bonus for the spell list + mods from Spell Casting Modifications Table

RMFRP
Spell Casting Static Maneuver Roll = 1d100 (open-ended) + caster skill bonus for the spell list + mods from Spell Casting Modifications Table

This seems to be a change not noted in the RMSS vs RMFRP
The loss of the +50 seems to be fairly major. Was there a reason for this?

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMSS vs RMFRP: SCSM
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 02:12:56 AM »
They work the same, RMFRP just moved the +50 to the manoeuvre table.

I guess it was decided that having a non-standard table was better than having a non-standard modifier? Personally, I prefer the RMSS version, but both methods give identical results. Just make sure you don't use one edition's table with the other edition's formula.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 08:38:53 PM »
To expand on that, in RMSS the threshold for successful casting is 111, whereas in RMFRP it is 61. Near and partial success thresholds are also 50 lower in RMFRP. The net result is that RMFRP requires less adding but has different thresholds than other static maneuvers. No actual difference in the odds of success.

We did have a player in RMSS repeatedly forget to add that +50 so maybe the RMFRP approach is less confusing.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 05:44:32 AM »
Good answer and I always looked at adding a +50 no matter what as a, “well, why bother having that mechanic modifier in the first place?!”
Glad it was swapped out/scrapped, though I guess it makes sense if it was only there to make spells jive with other Successful skill thresholds.

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 11:52:59 PM »
I love the lower totals chart in RMFRP, it's more natural imho, but when we can't find the newer table, we revert to the +50 on the older charts.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."