Author Topic: Disenchanting items  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Doridian

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Disenchanting items
« on: June 13, 2017, 03:13:28 PM »
I'm sure I'm missing something. But, going through both Spell Law (RMSS) and Treasure Companion (RMFRP), I'm not able to find out guidelines to disenchant items. I'm sorry it may appear trivial to most of you, but I would appreciate even the tiniest hint. May you point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Disenchanting items
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 05:52:35 PM »
Spell Bane lvl 19: Disjunction (Wizard Base, Arcane Companion)
Also Great Disjunction at lvl 25.

That's all I could find.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 01:36:07 AM »
This is not world of warcraft :D :D
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 02:17:56 AM »
Indeed disenchanting items is not common in Rolemaster. That's why you won't find such spells in Spell Law but only in some companion books. Instead of disenchanting the RM creators thought perhaps that an item rather gets destroyed instead of disenchanted. So throw your magic rings into Mount Doom instead of casting a spell on them  ;).

Offline Doridian

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:12:32 AM »
Spell Bane lvl 19: Disjunction (Wizard Base, Arcane Companion)
Also Great Disjunction at lvl 25.

That's all I could find.
Thank you! I'll refer to it, then.

Offline Doridian

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 07:13:08 AM »
This is not world of warcraft :D :D
Perhaps I was looking for the world of Magic...   ;)

Offline Doridian

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 07:19:03 AM »
Indeed disenchanting items is not common in Rolemaster. That's why you won't find such spells in Spell Law but only in some companion books. Instead of disenchanting the RM creators thought perhaps that an item rather gets destroyed instead of disenchanted. So throw your magic rings into Mount Doom instead of casting a spell on them  ;).
Thank you Ecthelion. Given all of the details for the making of magic objects I expected at least some hints on undoing them. Even stating the fact that throwing them in a volcano would destroy them (or maybe sometimes not?) and should do the trick, it would have been something meaningful. In effects it seems that, Wizard apart, RM suggests that magic items are forever. I remember something like dispelling each of the spells that have been cast to make the object itself, one at the time, but it has to come from another game system... So I'll have to develop my own view of the subject; I'm glad to have the arcane Wizard spells to start with!

Thank you all again.

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 07:35:40 AM »
I'm dying to use disjunction on some evil wizards artifact, right before he uses it to complete the evil ritual allowing the Unlife entry into Kulthea and destroying all of existence!

I'd say Alchemists should have some method.  Maybe by the items realm, or maybe giving a bonus the alchemist against items of his realm.

Mal

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:14:52 AM »
  • "Disjunction", "Ethereal Mastery", RoCo. I,
  • "Discharging Ways", Alc. C. Most spells but the 50th aren't permanent but, heh, it works,
  • "Ummaking Ways", Alc. C. Most spells but the 50th aren't permanent but, heh, it works,
  • "Spell Dampening", RoCo. V. No spell is permanent but, heh, it works,
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »
The players recently bested a terrorite with wicked intelligent swords. They used circle mastery and ritual magic to try and remove/neutralize the magic. It seems to have worked, for now. They aren't confident about the duration.
(RMFRP)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline mtpnj

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 03:29:03 PM »
We have always played that if you cast a Dispel (Essence or appropriate realm)  than the item, if it fails a RR based on either level of item or person holding it, if applicable.   It of course would only be for the duration of the spell or a number of rounds(minutes) equal to level of caster.  Other than that the item would have to be destroyed.

Offline Doridian

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 01:58:09 AM »
  • "Disjunction", "Ethereal Mastery", RoCo. I,
  • "Discharging Ways", Alc. C. Most spells but the 50th aren't permanent but, heh, it works,
  • "Ummaking Ways", Alc. C. Most spells but the 50th aren't permanent but, heh, it works,
  • "Spell Dampening", RoCo. V. No spell is permanent but, heh, it works,

I've managed to recover my old RM companions. As I've got RMCI-V, EC, OC, SUC and ArmsC I could not check the Alchemy Companion suggestions (but I could look through the RMSS/RMFRP Treasure Companion). Anyway it seems to me that this ability (to disenchant magical items) in the RMSS/RMFRP has "survived" only in the Wizard's spell lists. And they are not the same of RMCV. So only the Disjunctions spells are available (whereas the Spell Dampening list did not get through the system revisions). It confirms the impression I had when first I read the RMCV: the Wizard is a pesky spell user!