Author Topic: New to Shadow world...  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Tannik01

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New to Shadow world...
« on: August 15, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »
Hello everyone.
I am thinking of using Shadow world for a game that i am going to be running sometime within the next few months, I have no idea where to start though, I possess the 4th edition Atlas and nothing else, the world seems very interesting and has called to me several times over the last decade or two.
I am about to start reading the Atlas, it seems very daunting to look at. What are the important aspects of the world, the things that I should keep in mind when running the game?
Any help would be fantastic and very much appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New to Shadow world...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:39:26 PM »
Do you have a general idea of the tone of game you want to run?  What level are you starting the PCs at?  I'd recommend reading the sections on magic and the unlife.  Then decide on where you want to play.  Quellebourne is a great starting locale.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 05:08:48 AM »
The Players Guide is an excellent start to get a feel for the world (and also gets your players up to speed as well).

The majority of extra supplements and adventures are based in the 2 largest continents Jaiman & Emer. There are continent overview books, region overview books and city books which each expands on the previous. 

Continent Overview
For a general view (but far more detailed info than the Master Atlas) on the continents in question, there's...
Jaiman Land of Twilight which is in the process of being updated so look out for that in the next few months.
Emer is so large, it's Continent Overview is split into 4 region books so I've listed them below.

Region Overview
Here we get a little more detailed info on these regions.
The Land of Xa-ar located in the North East of Jaiman.
The Cloudlords of Tanara located in the South East of Jaiman.
Emer I (The North West) & Emer II (The North East) are being updated.
Emer III (The South East) which details the South East region and is available.
Emer IV (The South West) is currently in development.

City Overview
I'm sticking to cities that are within Jaiman & Emer and that have been produced recently. These describe in detail the City and it's surrounding areas.
Tales from the Green Gryphon Inn is just south of the middle of Jaiman.
Haalkitaine and the Imperial Court of Rhakhaan is to the East of the Green Gryphon Inn and is currently being updated.
Eidolon City in the Sky is located to the north of Emer. This is perhaps the most fantastical location as Eidolon is floating in the sky with Sky Ships and airships.

The IceWebRing have a complete list of Shadow World books but only a few are currently available on RPG Now (but eBay is your friend).

Powers of Light and Darkness has overviews of the major groups and individuals of note.

There are also adventures available in the Guild Adventurer issues.

But one of the major things in the Shadow World, whether you're playing a low powered game or if you're trying to take on the Jarak Ahrenreth are the Flow Storms and the unpredictability of their effects on players. Chapter VII of the Master Atlas has details of this as well as Essænce Barriers, Foci and Spell Manifestations (Casting spells in the Shadow World is very visual).

I also love the tech that's left behind all over the place from the First Era - some of it still works which can really put a spanner in the works of the PCs.
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 06:29:17 AM »
Norek (which I think is also being revised) is a city state in Jaiman that is also a popular starting point, but at the moment you will have to get a second hand 80s printing of it (the other books being revised can also be found in old printings as well). The unfinished Grand Campaign here in the Vault also has useful information on various regions.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline brandivil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »
Buy and read the novel The Loremaster Legacy. This will give you an ideal grasp of the world and setting.
 [url]https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18250139-the-loremaster-legacy/url]

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »
The Players Guide is an excellent start to get a feel for the world (and also gets your players up to speed as well
Hand's down, this. I have 5 of them so I can hand them to the players as their primer; it really is all they need to know to make characters fitted to Shadow World. (Well, other than how to make characters, d'oh!)

As for the Atlas, I would suggest just reading the main world stuff (like about the Flows of Essaence, the main gods and goddesses, etc...), and then only read in detail the area in which you plan on setting the campaign. That way you won't be overwhelmed with info. If I am remembering correctly, the 4th edition atlas had great detail on the Bay of Izar, and that looked like a good place to set a campaign. Then you could read about the other areas at your leisure and determine if you ever want to move the game to one of them.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.