Real Roleplaying

Author Topic: We need a new and vibrant setting  (Read 193 times)

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points 0/0
    • Awards
We need a new and vibrant setting
« on: October 06, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »
I have noticed that there are several good companies putting out either system agnostic or multistatted campaign settings these days. Frog God Games posts about their Discord server here (although it is a bit odd to do so) and their Lost Lands setting is quite good.
http://www.talesofthefroggod.com/lost-lands

Frank Mentzer is doing a new setting which claims in its kickstarter to eventually have specific crunch books for 10 different games
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/extsr/frank-mentzers-empyrea-fantasy-setting-for-10-rpg

Given the speed at which products come out from ICE, and the need to revitalize the HARP line a bit, would it not make sense to reach out to these or other companies and try to work out a deal. For instance, say there could be a deal with FGG to make Lost Lands the official setting for HARP. Obviously they would continue to sell it for all the rule systems they want, just allow ICE to stat products for HARP and sell, probably through the FGG site, setting books. Or some deal with some company that gets more material into our hands.

It seems to me that ICE has its hands full with rulebooks and such, and really they are great at doing those things. So why not outsource the stuff that they don't have the resources to deal with. There is so much great RPG material out there now, in reality this is the golden age of these games with more money and players than ever before. But ICE is not getting its beak wet! Not only would this be a great way to get more material to us, but also be a good way to spread the word with successful companies.

Any interest?

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points 0/0
  • Awards OIC Member
    • Awards
Re: We need a new and vibrant setting
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 10:58:17 PM »
I, for one, would love to see several different settings for both HARP and RM (though I do love Shadow World).
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Peter R

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points 480/480
  • Awards OIC Member
    • Rolemaster Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 01:05:03 AM »
I think it is very hard to divorce setting from rules. As soon as you have Gods then you need to decide which priests can raise the dead and which cannot. Is necromancy a wizardly thing or a dark priestly thing?

So I think your idea is exactly what ICE should be looking to do and it is an opportunity to sell additional themed rules supplements such as a College of Magic for Lost Lands.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points 0/0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 01:28:56 PM »
Cyradon will return, and will return as an expanded setting so there will be adventures on the Cyradon continent  and other continents - Wedding in Axebridge (which is set in the Shattterings) will be followed by Caer Glais.

Shadow World will become relatively easy to do using HARP rules at some point next year.

I have no objection to  considering proposals for other settings.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.rpgnow.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points 5/5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
  • Awards OIC Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »
Speaking as a very veteran user, I personally prefer material that can be dropped into any setting fairly easily.  I suspect a lot of long time GM's/Gamers have their own little worlds anymore and getting too specific prevents them from easily adapting material to their own setting.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (> = greater than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points 0/0
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »
I have adapted Middle Earth for use in my HARP games, but I would love to see Cyradon resurrected!
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Harp SF