Author Topic: Is it possible for a Navrothor to wield 2H weapons in one hand?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
I have a player wanting to play a Navrothor from the Folkways book. He has stated the character will  be short at 8' tall (yeah that is short for the race) but that he wants to be able to wield dual 2 handed weapons (one in each hand).

Is this possible without penalties?

If not what might those penalties be?

I thought I remembered reading about this somewhere in the Folkways book but I've been unable to find it.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Samzagas

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Is it possible for a Navrothor to wield 2H weapons in one hand?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:17:44 PM »
I'm by no means an expert, but this is what I think:
It would be a balance issue to allow a character to use a two-handed weapon in one hand because it is effectively giving the character the Critical Modifier bonus without the inherent penalty of having both hands busy.
What I recommend is to make him use a one-handed weapon and pretend it's a two-handed one. For example, he could use a Two-handed Sword that costs, weighs and does Medium Critical like a Long Sword.

Now that I think about it, an easier way to work it is to make him use a Critical Modifier of a lower size whenever he is using the weapon in one hand.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:06:21 AM »
I had a similar question come up in my indefinitely on hiatus science fantasy game. The player of the Runcori Tech had asked about the limited shapeshifting and dual wielding battle axes (by creating four arms). After discussion with the other players, we decided that at the next level he should take the Extra Arms talent and we'll just say zie had it the whole time. Granted, as the game has come to a halt because of my work schedule, we may just start completely over when we can make things work again.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 02:11:22 PM »
I'm by no means an expert, but this is what I think:
It would be a balance issue to allow a character to use a two-handed weapon in one hand because it is effectively giving the character the Critical Modifier bonus without the inherent penalty of having both hands busy.
What I recommend is to make him use a one-handed weapon and pretend it's a two-handed one. For example, he could use a Two-handed Sword that costs, weighs and does Medium Critical like a Long Sword.

Now that I think about it, an easier way to work it is to make him use a Critical Modifier of a lower size whenever he is using the weapon in one hand.
Then what would the difference be between him being a Navrothor that is 8'6" tall wielding one two handed weapon in each hand and say a regular human at 5'10" wielding a one handed weapon in each hand? I feel as though the Navrothor should do more damage based on his size and the size of his weapons.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »
Thing is that eight feet isn't that much taller than "average" human range, I had a friend from high school who was well over seven feet tall when we parted ways.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Samzagas

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 05:53:57 PM »
Then what would the difference be between him being a Navrothor that is 8'6" tall wielding one two handed weapon in each hand and say a regular human at 5'10" wielding a one handed weapon in each hand? I feel as though the Navrothor should do more damage based on his size and the size of his weapons.

There is no mechanical difference and that's part of the idea. If the system included the character's height in he calculation everybody would just make huge fighters. As it currently stands height, weight, ethnicity and so on are flavor to enhance the role-playing aspect of the game and have no bearing in the mechanics.