Author Topic: Let's talk about MONSTERS!!!  (Read 12511 times)

Offline TwilightKing

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Let's talk about MONSTERS!!!
« on: December 08, 2005, 02:33:30 AM »
Just doing some reading of the boards, and I thought, "What about..monsters in HARP?"

So, let's hear from you GMs: What badboys you like to throw at your victi..er.."players"? Homebrewed? Official? You name it!!! How did the encounter go?

Players: Let's hear what your GMs have thrown at you!!

Offline Akai

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Fascinating!
Re: Let's talk about MONSTERS!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 02:53:29 AM »
Monsters! Yes, we do love them so. Our GM generally throws human opponents against us since our games tend to take place in more urban environments and more political in nature but we've had our fair share of goblins. Goblins always make for a great fight. Mostly weak ones that are easy to beat individually but can be a real problem in large numbers. The occasional mage or burly fighter gets thrown at us to keep us in our place. We've also faced generic skeletons.

I'm sure we'll face a ported over version of the D&D Otyugh at some point since our GM always includes a sewer dive in any given campaign.
Conquistador there is no time, I must pay my respect
and though I came to jeer at you, I leave now with regret
and as the gloom begins to fall, I see there is no, only all
and though you came with sword held high, you did not conquer, only die
"Conquistador" --Procol Harum

Offline TwilightKing

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 02:55:20 AM »
I'm sure we'll face a ported over version of the D&D Otyugh at some point since our GM always includes a sewer dive in any given campaign.
I love Otyugh too!! I may have to port one over myself.

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 03:24:39 AM »
I love boars. Why? I don't know. Every man is one kind of pig?  I've even made undead boars to be thrown against my PCs: Aura of fear, extra strength, lots of hits, large attacks, based on zombie (fragility vs head crits). Generally I don't like undeads as much as demons (I love RM demons) but while GMing HARP I like them - other excemples Skeletal Jotunn, zombie troll :D

I've made a few own monsters for my precyradon campaign. Not going to the reasons there are some amalgams etc.
One of my faws is  (translating from finnish) 'mantislizard' aka watcher.  Lizard with extra front limbs like praying mantis. Those limbs allow polearm like reach (first round the init bonus is over 30  ;D), grapple, secondary crit as the spikes in limbs impale grappled victim. It also has hypnotic gaze (thus the name) - eye contact allows slow movement towards victim while the victim is static. Of course it is more intelligent than normal animal.

Other is scorpion cat. Large tiger sized cat with poisonous thumb claws in fron paws and elongated tail with small (attack size) poisonous stinger hidein in fur. This is of animal intelligence.

Offline buddha

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 03:53:01 AM »
Just doing some reading of the boards, and I thought, "What about..monsters in HARP?"

So, let's hear from you GMs: What badboys you like to throw at your victi..er.."players"? Homebrewed? Official? You name it!!! How did the encounter go?

I've always been a big fan of demons, but since the group I GM now is low level I have to use other monsters.
The nemesis so far have been a half elf, half goblin necromancer wich has been pulling the strings and even attacked their village. Thay have only seen this guy once, but his Gobbomancers they have come across several times. Gobbomancers are goblin necromancers with a shamanistic look. Chickenbones in thier noses and ears, ritual painting and scarification, the full package. Fortunatly for the players the Gobbomancers die easily, but the do manage to summon a few undead gobbos before they get killed. They also have this nice spell I don't remember the name of right now, the necromancer spell that just makes wounds. My players freaked out when Gobbomancers popped out of the bushes, threw some chickenbones and shouted a lot and one of the players fell to the ground sith great pain in his cheast. the gobbo had been at least 10 meters away and had magicaly cut him across the chest. Very spooky.

It's been a while since they met any Gobbomancers, they have become a bit tougher and they are ready for their first dungeoncrawl now. So I guess the will get to meet some more undeads, and not goblin sized this time.
Gaute Gunleiksrud

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
[I am in control of my addiction!]
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 07:33:39 AM »
Favourite monster by name ever: Rumtifusel from RM. And it is not only the name but that beast is really nasty and great fun if you are the GM. What player or character can resist to pick up a good looking fur or which barbarian can not try on a fur coat? Just a brilliant idea.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 08:35:33 AM »
I generally stick with humanoid races, though upcoming I will soon be introducing some in one of my campaigns. Mostly Snake type creatures (oversized) that are Undead.  I may be lookiing for some assistance on these monsters since they are being brought over from that other gaming system.   ;)

If anyone is bored and looking to assist in this kind of project, please let me know.  I can give you the d20 info and hopefully you can assist in the conversion from there.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline buddha

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 08:43:33 AM »
I generally stick with humanoid races, though upcoming I will soon be introducing some in one of my campaigns. Mostly Snake type creatures (oversized) that are Undead.? I may be lookiing for some assistance on these monsters since they are being brought over from that other gaming system.?  ;)

hmm, Undead snaketypes... ahhh,  you mean them Followers of Set from Vampire???  ;)

OK, I have little experience with snakemen from that other system, would they be anything like the sneaky serpents from Conan??
Gaute Gunleiksrud

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 08:45:43 AM »

Players: Let's hear what your GMs have thrown at you!!

Regular Human Adversaries ... and my players are scared stiff  :P

Cormac

Offline cblackthorne

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 09:04:00 AM »
Draconians.

I also like to use the O.R.C. (Orc Revelutionary Committee).   ;D
Chris A.
Author of HARP - Martial Law
Contributor to the HARP Rulebook
Creator of the RM Combat Database

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 09:18:17 AM »
It's from the Freeport setting from Green Ronin. Monsters are listed in the spoiler below.  I can send you the details offline.

Players in the Chosen should not look below...  :)

(click to show/hide)

Offline buddha

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 09:22:41 AM »
It's from the Freeport setting from Green Ronin. Monsters are listed in the spoiler below.? I can send you the details offline.

Aha, and I guess you're not waiting for the Freeport modules to come out for HARP/RM.
Gaute Gunleiksrud

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 09:25:59 AM »
I was hoping, but with the recently announced delays, it looks like I'll need to get them ready sooner.  I do play by PBP so there is always the chance that Tim might zip through it before we reach that section - but not too likely. I would estimate I have about 6-8 weeks before the first creatures come into play.

Any who are interested in assisting on this can send me a PM and I'll get you the original info for the creatures.

Thanks!

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Current mentality: Excruciatingly Confused
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 01:49:35 PM »
Favorite monsters?  Hmmm...  :idea:

Beholder (from that other system)
Draconians
Slimes, jellies, oozes in subtereanen/forest/jungle settings
Undead (skeletons, zombies, wraiths, vampires and ghostly types)
Dustdigger (upsidedown octopus with ant lion like ambush ability for desert encounters)

Planning to make a Mriswith sometime in the next 6 months.  That one should be particularly nasty.   :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 03:33:01 PM »
A monster I never used was the Succubus. It never really made sense to me to have character falling for a beautiful woman that has a donkey's leg and smells like a GRAVE. I don't know how this was ever supposed to work.
I mean there is a bigger chance that the adventures falls for the Dancer of Inis with very long, shiny, blood dripping blades in a long lost ruined temple of evil.  8)
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline TwilightKing

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 09:11:03 PM »
Some very, very good ideas.

But how dare I open this discussion without mentioning MY favorites. Where was my brain last night?

Some of these beasties may come from "other" games, as I have just started HARP and my RM days are barely remembered. But I do have some that cross game systems and always find a way into my worlds, if not my campaign:

UNDEAD. Yep. I'm a zombie lover (GreenRipper, if he's reading this, can attest to that!! ;D) I love hordes of zombies and skeletons, the ghouls attacking from sepulchres, the more rotten and skeletal the undead the better!! I also love undead versions of classic monsters such as orcs, trolls, ogres, etc. And undead dragons are just good fun!!

TROLLS For some reason, the D&D (AD&D?) Troll is one of my favorite monsters from THAT system. I also used to enjoy the heck out of Trolls in MERP, and I feel I will also like them with HARP just as much.

SLIMES Gotta have slimes and jellies, and the occasional ooze. I use them sparingly, if at all, but when used it is usually an encounter well remembered!!

DEMONS Well, I haven't used them yet, but I plan on it!!

There are many, many more but those are off the top of my head. 8)

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 10:38:43 PM »
Most of the foes my players have been facing are humans (including elves, halflings etc) and humanoids - goblins, hobgoblins & the like.

There have been a few low level undead, and there is a certain halfling necromancer that they've had a couple of run-ins with.

The toughest monster they've had to fight was a hydra, and the party was very concerned until the mage double open-ended on his fireball roll  :-[

They've just met their first demon, and they'll probably end up fighting it, although they're hoping to avoid it if possible.

Hawk

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 09:43:01 AM »
I always liked the look on the players' faces when when I throw undead their way.  I love vampires and mummies, and demons too.

Best fun I have had with my players so far, and one of their most challenging, was when they had to invade the lair of a lich to recover a very important campaign related item.  At one point the lich creeped in and cast a sleep spell on everyone during one of their rest periods, then stole their most powerful magic items while they slept.  Not only did they have to deal with the lich at the end of the scenario without their heavy-duty magic items, but they had to deal with its guardian iron golem as well.  Only through some very good planning on their part, and a little luck, were they able to defeat the lich and the golem.  It was fun!
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 09:49:52 AM »
Most of the foes my players have been facing are humans (including elves, halflings etc) and humanoids - goblins, hobgoblins & the like.

Can be very interesting as for the most part an orc is an orc but an elf could be anything.

We had a running joke in our group for a while.  You open a door and see a dragon - ATTACK!  You open a door and the room is empty - RUN AWAY!  We had a very evil GM.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline GrayPumpkin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Monkeys Love the GrayPumpkin
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 10:24:31 AM »
I just started a very sword and sorcery feeling HARP game using the Wilderlands of High Fantasy. The PC are banished exiles from the Citystate, left to surviving in the wilds of Barbarian Altanis. So far it?s been a blast.
We?re only a played handful of sessions and with the holidays this month we won?t likely play again until next year, in but so far they?ve faced.

Neanderthals (Modified Hobgoblins)
Yog a ?God? of the pit. Worshipped by the Neanderthals. (I used a modified Nightlord made him bigger and more tentaclely, by then the PC had rescued their comrade who was about to be sacrificed and wisely fled from the pit as Yog arrived.)
Giant Snake
Reptile Men-(Inspired by Howard?s Kull and Lovecraft, shapeshiters that can take human form. I tailor made them for the game)
Bandits/Hillmen

I?m currently working on adapting Jackelweres to HARP for a possible encounter in an upcoming game.