Author Topic: Skills and Categories Fixed Easily  (Read 8973 times)

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Skills and Categories Fixed Easily
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 04:28:10 PM »
None of those tasks you list need a computer skill.  You do not have to understand how your ATM works to use it or know how your car works in order to drive it.  You do not need to know how the medical, navigational or even RDBMS (Relational Database) software works inside. There is a front-end that hides the complexity and instead gives you a much easier interface to use.  A steering wheel, two pedals and maybe a stick are a lot less complicated then what is actually powering the car.

In a perfect world the complexity of flying the plane would be handled by the computer program that was written to perform the task and not the operator using the software.  So even a person with novice computer experience should be able to operate the software needed to land the plane.  If the software was not written yet you could never design, build and implement a program from scratch able to land a plane in time so as to avert a crisis situation :)  It just takes much more time than that.  You would be better off relying on your piloting skills.

I agree.  But some games treat it as all computer operations.  Not saying it's realistic, just that this is one of those pit falls that can befall game designers and players alike when developing a system of skill similarities.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Rivstyx

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • rivstyx
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 08:13:33 AM »
None of those tasks you list need a computer skill.  You do not have to understand how your ATM works to use it or know how your car works in order to drive it.  You do not need to know how the medical, navigational or even RDBMS (Relational Database) software works inside. There is a front-end that hides the complexity and instead gives you a much easier interface to use.  A steering wheel, two pedals and maybe a stick are a lot less complicated then what is actually powering the car.

In a perfect world the complexity of flying the plane would be handled by the computer program that was written to perform the task and not the operator using the software.  So even a person with novice computer experience should be able to operate the software needed to land the plane.  If the software was not written yet you could never design, build and implement a program from scratch able to land a plane in time so as to avert a crisis situation :)  It just takes much more time than that.  You would be better off relying on your piloting skills.

I agree.  But some games treat it as all computer operations.  Not saying it's realistic, just that this is one of those pit falls that can befall game designers and players alike when developing a system of skill similarities.

Understood but I would apply piloting skill to landing the plane.  If for some reason I did apply the computer skill I would make the computer skill roll no worse than a medium because you are not really writing the program.  You are figuring out the software that runs the plane.  If a ground controller was talking me through it I would add a big modifier as well. "Push/Click the big red button that says landing gear." :)

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 04:06:56 PM »
Understood but I would apply piloting skill to landing the plane.  If for some reason I did apply the computer skill I would make the computer skill roll no worse than a medium because you are not really writing the program.  You are figuring out the software that runs the plane.  If a ground controller was talking me through it I would add a big modifier as well. "Push/Click the big red button that says landing gear." :)

Ah, yes, here we're talking about computer operations, not computer programming (though as part of my point I was saying that some games treat both operations and programming as the same skill, which I think is rather silly).  I would have a pretty high computer operations skill, but I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag.

We're also not talking about physically landing the plane yourself.  We're talking about filling the role of airtraffic controller where you are using computers to coordinate the traffic of an airport.

Well, at least that's what I was talking about.  Perhaps somewhere in there we got our conversations crossed.  ;D

At any rate, if I were designing the game I would personally make a separate Air Traffic Control skill.  Computers would play an integral part in that skill, but wouldn't effect the body of knowledge that involves that job.  If a system of prerequisite skills were in place (another way of manipulating ancilary knowledge in the form of skills) I would probably dictate that Computer Operations (separate from the Computer Programming skill) was required to do the job of an air traffic controller, though not required to know the theory.  This pre-requisite would mean the player MUST take the computer operations skill and would therefore eliminate the opportunity for him to come back later and say "well, I should have recieved ranks in Computer Operations for free because I would have learned it to do my job!"  Does that make sense?
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain