Author Topic: New monster  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Chris Seal

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +200/-200
New monster
« on: July 29, 2007, 11:33:32 PM »
Hi there,

I am planning on using this critter as an encounter for 1st - 2nd level characters. It is intended to be a mini-boss encounter. I'm pretty new to the system so was wondering if some of the old hands could run a weather eye over it and let me know if I have missed something important.

Night Terror.

The night terror is a small hairy fae with overly long arms. It is a member of the Unseelie court. Night terrors are very stealthy and wait until their prey is sleeping before they attack. They attack by sitting on the chest of the sleeping victim and breathing in the exhaled breath, taking a portion of their victim's life energy with every breath. If their victim awakens they attack with sharp claws before disappearing into the darkness. Night terrors are generally quite cowardly and will flee unless they are facing incapacitated foes.

Level: 4
Hits: 97
Size: Small
Movement: 5'
Initiative: +19
Defensive Bonus: +36 (20 Tough Hide (Minor); 16 Stats)
Resistance Rolls: Stamina +39; Will +30; Magic +44
Attack: Claws +83 Tiny Slash
Special Abilities: Dark Vision (Greater); Tough Hide (Minor); Steal Breath*; Vulnerability (Silver)
Stats: St: 75 (5); Co: 75 (7); Ag: 75 (8 ); Qu: 75 (8 ); SD: 75 (5); Re: 75 (5); In: 75 (6); Pr: 75 (5); PP 10
Treasure: N2NP
Important Skills: Perception (10) 62; Ambush (10) 63; Stalk & Hide (15) 73

Steal Breath: On a successful Ambush against a sleeping the Night Terror succeeds in stealing a portion of it's victim's life force without waking him/her. The victim loses 2d10 Constitution and is fatigued the following day due to lack of restful sleep. The Night Terror can use this ability once per victim per night. An unsuccessful Ambush attempt awakens the victim.

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New monster
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 09:54:53 AM »
Good work ;)
I  like this kind of monster...like in the european medieval myths
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Giddoen

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 12:49:08 PM »
job well done!

Giddoen

Offline Duskwalker

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Deus lo vult!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 10:23:21 AM »
Sounds nice!

There are actuall two similar evil spirits in german folklore, the "Alb" and the (Bavarian) "Drud(e)". The Alb (etymologically very closely related to the word "elf") sits on its victims chest, thereby causing the "Albdruck" or "Albtraum" (elf's pressure - nightmare), the always female Drud practically does the same. To ward them of you could draw "Drudenf?sse" (pentagramms) on the windowsills and thresholds or leave a crooked iron nail at the same places. Neither of the two is able to step over the first and will always get caught on the second and scratch itself at the dispised metal, causing it to flee.

So maybe you could give the nigth terror a vulnerability to iron, instead of silver and allow people to ward it of the same way if you want to tie it closer to actual myth. Of course, it could also be a false belief, maybe even drawing it in on victims "protected" in that way. Just a suggestion.
"Please understand, the horny bard does not represent us!" - The Gamers II

Giddoen

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 10:39:28 AM »
Sounds nice!

There are actuall two similar evil spirits in german folklore, the "Alb" and the (Bavarian) "Drud(e)". The Alb (etymologically very closely related to the word "elf") sits on its victims chest, thereby causing the "Albdruck" or "Albtraum" (elf's pressure - nightmare), the always female Drud practically does the same. To ward them of you could draw "Drudenf?sse" (pentagramms) on the windowsills and thresholds or leave a crooked iron nail at the same places. Neither of the two is able to step over the first and will always get caught on the second and scratch itself at the dispised metal, causing it to flee.

So maybe you could give the nigth terror a vulnerability to iron, instead of silver and allow people to ward it of the same way if you want to tie it closer to actual myth. Of course, it could also be a false belief, maybe even drawing it in on victims "protected" in that way. Just a suggestion.

Oh Duskwalker I like the last part of this as well would be great story concept and only the people with the pentograms / bent nails are getting attacked!...oh it is pure evil! I love it.

Giddoen

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 12:30:29 PM »
Is the Constitution drain intended to be permanent or temporary.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Chris Seal

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +200/-200
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 03:37:21 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Duskwalker:

I initially thought of giving it vulnerability to iron but also thought that it would be too easy to get hold of iron/steel weapons. On reflection though it does fit more with the idea of fae that I am trying to develop for my campaign so I think I'll go with your suggestion and make it vulnerable to iron rather than silver. I also like the idea that the protections may in fact be a lure to the Night Terrors - consider that idea stolen  ;D.

Chosen GM:

I was trying to use as many existing talents as possible so as to not break the system  ;) so I simply stole this talent from the undead. IIRC the con drain is recovered at the rate of one point per night. Of course I envisage the attacks continuing so that the victim is steadily losing constitution until the Night Terror is dealt with.

Cheers
Chris

Dr_Sage

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 12:19:17 AM »
Usualy "iron" refers to "cold iron " weapons and not regular steel weapons.  ;)

Offline Chris Seal

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +200/-200
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 02:16:00 AM »
Heh I figured as much - somehow the metallurgist in me can't seem to see past the fact that there's not a great deal of difference between steel and iron  :P

Offline Duskwalker

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Deus lo vult!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 12:48:28 PM »
Now THAT is one topic...

The difference between "iron" and "cold iron" is totally dependant on the system you play, and of course the campaign, and personal favor, but...
there actually is no such thing as "cold iron", because its always produced by heating iron-oxide(?) together with e.g. coal. The oxygen is consumed and the iron remains as "pure" metal. So, in the very first step of production, the metal is already heated up. Of course, you might call it cold (hammered) iron because it is not reheated when processed, which actually is a very bad choice.
Its different with brass and copper since they appear as already useable lumps of ore. They can be and were worked cold.

If I were you, I'd extend the vulnerability not only to "cold iron" or rather pure iron weapons, but also to steel weapons...gives your titan-blade boys something to think about.  ;D

Btw, ask Conan about the "iron is not much different to steel" thingy!  :P
"Please understand, the horny bard does not represent us!" - The Gamers II