Author Topic: Jolts  (Read 3943 times)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Jolts
« on: July 31, 2007, 05:54:19 PM »
The unconsciousness option: does the target wake up out of it after the duration has passed or does he stay in it but can be easily awakened like with the sleep spell?
Shouldn't this spell too have a "increase targets" scaling option?

If you are able to cast sleep would you still need to learn jolts?
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Jolts
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 08:13:49 AM »
The scaling option says "target unconscious for duration", so that means he is unconscious for 1 round, unless you have increased the duration with the "Increase Stun" scaling option.

As for your question about casting sleep versus jolts - that is up to the player to decide. Jolts is meant more as a stunning spell, not as a sleep spell. The unconsciousness portion is just an extension of the stunning result, and most likely only going to be used by more powerful mages.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:31:13 AM »
Right, more powerful mages, yes, that's why I was wondering whether the target will awaken the round later or whether he will stay unconscious but be easily awakened from it - similar to the sleep spell which keep one asleep even after the duration has passed.

BTW do you apply krush crits for going to the ground unconscious ... for banging your head? Probably not ...
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »
no, I don't apply crush crits. However, I often do apply a single hit of damage (or up to 3 hits) for falling to the ground, depending upon the ground.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 10:17:57 AM »
Do you think it would unbalance the game vastly if we'd allowed the unconsciousness to last? Would this make the spell too powerful?
I needs 9 PPs to be able to cast it and carries a scaling malus of -30 and requires two rounds to be cast. The Sleep spell in contrast sends someone into a magical slumber for at least 8 rounds for only 4 PPs without a malus .... plus the rounds spend in normal sleep afterwards ...
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 10:49:46 AM »
most likely it wouldn't hurt the balance, but the GM is the one who has to decide whether or not to allow such a modification.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 01:28:24 PM »
Excellent, as the GM - speaking with that referee from celebrity deathmatch - "I'll allow it!"  ;)
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline bunny

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 09:45:17 PM »
Do you think it would unbalance the game vastly if we'd allowed the unconsciousness to last? Would this make the spell too powerful?
I needs 9 PPs to be able to cast it and carries a scaling malus of -30 and requires two rounds to be cast. The Sleep spell in contrast sends someone into a magical slumber for at least 8 rounds for only 4 PPs without a malus .... plus the rounds spend in normal sleep afterwards ...
Hasnt the sleep spell been revised so that the 4PP sleep only affects tiny creatures? Also, from memory, so that targets in combat gain a bonus to their RR when attacked by the sleep spell - not so with jolts.

Given those points, I would rule that the unconscious target "lapses into sleep" if you like at the end of the unconscious, unwakeable period.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 04:59:02 AM »
Not really. The elemental spells have the tiny critical with the 4 PP basic spell but sleep still affect a single target, no matter what level or size. As far as the rulebook goes!

Also, good idea with the jolts-unconsciousness option!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!