Author Topic: Herb lore  (Read 3504 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Herb lore
« on: August 02, 2007, 03:12:47 PM »
Can someone walk me through the process of finding herbs using RMSS.  Does the player have to specifically state what he is looking for?  How long does it take?  Do I have to populate the area with herbs?  Please help!!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Herb lore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 03:39:59 PM »
This is how I resolve searches for herbs.

One step I have already taken is to create a list of all herbs by climate/region.  This way I quickly see what is available in the area.  However, you can go through the list and note all available herbs in the area by climate for each search in a few minutes, with help from players.

So lets say the search is in a mixed forest, deciduous, with fresh water, short grass available.  The players make their foraging roll (one roll with mods), and then I go down the list, adding the mod for dificulty to find.  All herbs with a result of 111 or higher are found.  I roll 2d10-the dificulty number, and that is the number of doses found.  If the area is near civiliaztion, I only roll 1d10-#, or if it has been searched in the last four months/growing season.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 03:45:39 PM »
Forgot...when the herb is found, an herb lore check is made to see if the PC knows it is a herb of value.  If a large group s search, I might randomly determine who finds the herb (it may well be over looked).  This typically occurs when the PC's are looking for specific herbs.

In game, an herbalist may anounce he wishes to search for herbs.  Generate your list, make one roll, and this can determine what herbs the PC knows grow around here.

I have had GM's who demanded multiple herb lore skills per enviroment/or stressed your herb lore was centered around your native enviroments.

Searches require four hours.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 03:25:37 AM »
And be aware that players can earn a LOT of money by selling herbs, so remember to check the price of the herb before handing them out in case the players decide to sell them again :)
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 08:05:20 AM »
On herb cost;

The prices in the book are highly unrealistic if the average peasent makes less than 3gp a year and the average successful craftsman makes 20-25gp a year.  Convert all listed prices to Sp, or even Bp.  Same with the cost of magic items.  Convert all listed cost to Sp.  Makes things much more reasonable.

lynn

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 08:37:48 AM »
Well, come on, the herbs are REALLY powerful. Imagine that you could have a tea that would completely heal one of your organs. Or having a bandage with a paste on it that would make your bone heal completely and quite fast.
I think, herbs are REALLY powerful and  if I remember correctly there has always been some discussion about them being too powerful compared to spells and spell cost.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 10:51:09 AM »
Herbs are indeed powerful, and portable.  But no one will pay 55gp to have a broken arm mended when 32bp will get the job done to pay for an 8th level spell.  Even if a GM cgarges 1gp per level of spell, a rediculous sum imo, the spell is still cheaper.

RM economics are far better that most games, but there are a few traces of ole ADnD in it, such as the bloated magic and herb cost.  They SHOULD be expensive, outside of the normal day to day purchasing power of the masses, but not out of reach.  No merchant can ever afford 55gp for a simple herb, he will go to the cleric or healer to fix a broken limb if he must.  However, 55sp could be done.  55bp makes even more sense.  The portability of the herb even makes the higher price reasonable.

Add this as one of the issues I would like addressed in any future rewrite.

lynn

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 11:56:04 AM »

A couple of addendas:
1) RM2 had a -50 to the roll if the area was recently searched/inhabited, I use that unless the players are waaay out on the boondocks
2) I use the player's # of ranks in Herb Lore as a check vs difficulty ranking to see if the character recognizes the herb or not
3) And I've reduced some of the higher end resale prices as well

Ciao,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 01:32:49 PM »
On herb cost;

The prices in the book are highly unrealistic if the average peasent makes less than 3gp a year and the average successful craftsman makes 20-25gp a year.  Convert all listed prices to Sp, or even Bp.  Same with the cost of magic items.  Convert all listed cost to Sp.  Makes things much more reasonable.

lynn

Hmm that sounds reasonable.. I wonder why I never thought of that  :bang:
I think my list of herbs needs a rewrite :)
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 05:27:59 PM »
I like your idea Old Man, I think that is going to be my approach. 
A  Recently searched areas -50
B  Only ranks higher then rarity of herb can be found
C  Reduce some of the costs
D  Make the high cost ones in smaller amounts to make a dose (20/1)