Author Topic: Monks and magical weapons  (Read 11352 times)

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Monks and magical weapons
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 11:55:14 AM »

It's just, well, logic. Even magic has to be logical somehow. Arbitrariness is the enemy of realism and believability. And yes, magic can be realistic and believable in a fantasy world context. Heck, it ought to be.

- Timo -

PS. I know this will totally surprise you, but my fellow players often tell me that I over-rationalize things. Especially magic.

I have to confess that I think the same way. :)
However that need to be logical about it, does not extend to my players, whom I like to surprise and delight with the wonders of magic.

It's just when I'm planning the scenario or background, I like to understand WHY things are the way they are.

I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 11:57:48 AM »
Ohh And there's a certain satisfaction when players ask (After the game) "Ehh how did they/it do that? Thats not according to the rules."
And I can say: "If I tell you I would have to kill you, but take my word on it: It IS according to the rules!" :)
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline dreameling

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2007, 01:04:27 PM »
I like to understand WHY things are the way they are

Amen.

Plus in the long run, players will appreciate your work, because while they may be in the dark, you're not, and this shows in the game world experience they're getting.

- Timo -

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2007, 05:01:54 PM »
Well, I agree with what you are saying, and once it was my own creedo, but you have to be very careful when walking this "everything has to be explainable" nonsense.

Take a simple lvl 2 shield spell.  I have seen a GM explain the invisible shield as an intense magnetic barrier that deflected attacks to an Android with a multiscaner.  Sitting at that table, i winced inside, and sure enough, the Android started whipping non ferrous objects at the wizzard.  Now the GM was stuck with his definition.  Me, I learned to say the scanner picks up a large basket fruit. 

Of course, I run and play in games that mix magic and tech freely, so these issues become important.  Only so much needs to be actually explainable about something as inexplicable as magic, a force by definition that is impossible to exist, because nothing ignores the laws of nature.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2007, 09:39:55 PM »

Take a simple lvl 2 shield spell.  I have seen a GM explain the invisible shield as an intense magnetic barrier that deflected attacks to an Android with a multiscaner.  Sitting at that table, i winced inside, and sure enough, the Android started whipping non ferrous objects at the wizzard.  Now the GM was stuck with his definition.  Me, I learned to say the scanner picks up a large basket fruit. 

Such mistakes happens, but to quote a popular phrase "It's magic":

Android: "Magnetic barrier ? I throw <add non ferrous object here>."
GM: "It is deflected."
Android: "? But ..."
GM: "Oh, your scanner now pick up a barrier that seems to be made out of wood."
(or "... made of a large basket fruit")

I have to admit that I am a kind of player who sometimes act like the android,
but our GM is cool and would change things - and I accept it.

Sorry for being off topic - have to add it to my location  ;)
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com