Author Topic: Dispelling Magical Traps  (Read 3512 times)

jsecker

Dispelling Magical Traps
« on: August 11, 2007, 06:26:09 AM »
Hi all,
       I've been through all the HARP rulebooks I have at hand and haven't been able to find a way to dispel waiting magic.  This has become an issue as my players have now gained the ability to detect magical traps (after a few fireballs had exploded in their faces) and are now asking how to dispel them as Dispel Magic only allows for dispelling active magic.  I've toyed with the idea of making it a scalable option on the Dispel Magic spell but wondered what others thought/had done.

Cheers

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Dispelling Magical Traps
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 12:06:01 PM »
Note: the waiting/trigger portion of a magical trap IS active magic. T

he effect caused when trap is triggered is passive magic...

When using Dispel Magic, if the trap makes its RR against the Dispel, then the trap is triggered. If it fails, the trap is neutralized safely.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 06:57:20 AM »
Note: the waiting/trigger portion of a magical trap IS active magic. T

he effect caused when trap is triggered is passive magic...

When using Dispel Magic, if the trap makes its RR against the Dispel, then the trap is triggered. If it fails, the trap is neutralized safely.

Hmm That means that the traps will be neutralized (either safely or by going off) in both cases. Wouldn't a magical trap that makes the resistance roll simply just continue to function as before?

In this way I can see the advantage in casting Dispell Magic from a safe distance, knowing that nomatter the outcome of the resistance roll, I would be safe.
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 07:06:30 AM »
Set it up as a cascading RR type of thing. Where in some instances the successful RR does not trigger the trap, while in others it does.

This would allow for you to have a number of options/results available, and the players won't immediately know what the answer is (and you can even include a result where the magical connection created by the spell (Dispel) causes the caster of the Dispel to be affected by the trap, regardless of their range from the trap).

Dr_Sage

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 11:21:31 AM »
(and you can even include a result where the magical connection created by the spell (Dispel) causes the caster of the Dispel to be affected by the trap, regardless of their range from the trap).

That is a great idea. Awarded imediately. ;)

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 11:26:22 AM »
Rasyr,

That is down right diabolical.  :evil2:  I like it!  :D
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!