Author Topic: looking for D&D monster stats for HARP  (Read 3833 times)

Offline highpriest_rsw2

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Electric six homepage
looking for D&D monster stats for HARP
« on: August 11, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »
I'm missing a bunch of D&D classic monsters for HARP.
I'm sure I can stat most of them out (or convert them from RMFRP) except for slimes.
I'm clueless on how to do slimes.
Any ideas would be helpful.

I also think that HARP needs another monster book or a larger monsters section in the Bazaar issues.
Calling unprotected girls Infected girls do it better

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: looking for D&D monster stats for HARP
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 12:53:54 PM »
The slimes and oozes have been overlooked... and I had to sift through the MM to find them... finally did in 2eMM I&II.

They are highly unlikely to be intelligent... they come in several varieties... slime molds... spore shooting oozes... and amoebic  or cube like moving animals.

Slime molds can  easily be sporus, these usually secrete digestive enzymes (external poison critical depending on the size of the mold... tiny...tiny 1d100 - 20 and so on. ) A release of spores would be a CRR vs poison again vary this  with the size of the creature.  Slime molds would have partial or total immunity to some kinds of attacks... usually with a vulnerability.

For moving cubes and oozes... give them partial immunity (-50 to crush and puncture for example)  to attacks (since even an amoeba would suffer if it's mitocondria or nucleus  were struck plus there could be other ways to wound it even if it does not bleed cytoplasm will leak) and you can give it huge hits.  These won't normally have spores... but might have acidic blood... disincentive to strike.  Cytoplasm spills making a tiny external poison critical against the striking weapon or person.

The osmotic attack well that can be  handled much like any unarmed grapple... (combining that with acidic cytoplasm would be deadly) with several rounds before the character is fully subsumed.  (after which they begin to drown... and possibly take acidic criticals)  I would use MA Sweeps attacks using the grapple table.

Give them a reasonable but not overwhelming unarmed attack...

Assign hits based on creatures of a similar size.
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Dr_Sage

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 03:29:02 PM »
Some of these monsters have elemental resistance and or vulnerability as well.

You can assign a bonus/pealty to the monsters?s DB and RRs against such types of attacks.

Let me take a look at my DnD books...

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 09:14:54 PM »
I'm missing a bunch of D&D classic monsters for HARP.
I'm sure I can stat most of them out (or convert them from RMFRP) except for slimes.
I'm clueless on how to do slimes.
Any ideas would be helpful.

I also think that HARP needs another monster book or a larger monsters section in the Bazaar issues.

I agree that additional monsters in the Bazaars would be awesome, a blessing even! Perhaps even if it were just monsters from Rolemaster! Monsters make the world go 'round... sometimes gravity, too...
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 08:38:17 PM »
You can get stats of many of the classic monsters converted to d20 on line.  Those might be a little easier to convert.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Pecete

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 12:14:52 PM »
I would find a more friendly aproach of the Monster guide by using the clasical D&D names for monsters rather than new names, wich are hard to remember.
I think need a new memory expansion on my brain

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 03:36:15 AM »
Greetings All,

With this challenge in mind, I've created "Slimes".

I started with a Tiny Slime and created one each for Small, Medium, Large and Huge.

I gave them External Poison attacks with an equal Internal Poison attack (the same attack roll is used which negates armor as it already inside the person). The External Poison could be substituted with Acid, (which is more suitable) if you have Martial Law.

The "racial" stat bonuses were guessed but I went for Con and Intuition as primary stats and Strength at higher  sizes (as per M:AFG).

Several options that weren't written down are:
- Cant be flanked as they dont have any facing.
- As Undead, they cant be poisoned, or diseased, and cant suffer from sleep, charm or any other similar spells.

I can post it up where ever anyone wants it.

Just let me know where.

--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 06:13:55 AM »
Send it in as a Guild Companion article.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme