Author Topic: Battlemaster: Rear Bonus  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Battlemaster: Rear Bonus
« on: August 18, 2007, 01:51:08 PM »
Hi,

Being flanked results in -20 to DB.

What about being attacked from behind? Perhaps I missed it, but I saw nowhere the -35 I am used to.

BR
Juergen

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Battlemaster: Rear Bonus
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 02:52:48 PM »
The Battlemaster rules don't mention flank or rear bonuses because they are not changed from the core rules. Flank still gives +15 to the attackers OB if he attacks the flank of another character, and it also still gives an additional +20 (for +35 total) for attacks against a foe's rear facing.

Pecete

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 02:30:05 AM »
if ataquing from the non shield flank will the defender aply the shield DB?

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 07:32:59 AM »
no, he can't, unless he changes his facing which would be rather dfficlut in such a short moment.
So, no, he can't apply his shield bonus if attacked on the weapon's hand flank.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 07:37:56 AM »
I'd leave that up to the GM to decide (and/or whether or not the character being attacked as Shield Training -- personally, if they have the talent, I would say that the DB applies so long as the target knows that the attack is coming.)

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 12:54:25 PM »
Hi,

Page 6, right hand side below point 3.2: "When attacked to the flank, the defender receives a -20 modifier (unless the character changes his facing towards that particular hex)."

I am confused now, what does this mean in light of what was said above?

BR
Juergen

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 01:11:55 PM »
Sorry, bad wording on my part there perhaps. That is talking about a character making an attack to his own flank.

Look at the image below

Cho Le is making a flank attack on Kobold #2.

The Defender (Kobold #2) may attack him back, but if he does not change facing, he receives a -20 modifier to attack Cho Le, who is on his flank.

That make more sense now?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dr_Sage

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 02:55:11 PM »
Flank still gives +15 to the attackers OB if he attacks the flank of another character, and it also still gives an additional +20 (for +35 total) for attacks against a foe's rear facing.

Ops, I didn?t know that. I was using +20 to the attacker and the loss of shield bonus to the defender. Where the +35 is on the Core rules?  ???

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 03:44:16 PM »
Ops, I didn?t know that. I was using +20 to the attacker and the loss of shield bonus to the defender. Where the +35 is on the Core rules?  ???

HARP core rulebook, page 85, bottom of the left hand column.

An attack against a foe's flanks gives +15, and attack against foe's rear gives +20. These bonuses ARE stackable, just as in RM. Thus, attacking from the rear is basically the same as saying rear/flank, and thus the bonuses are added to give a +35 to the attacker.

One of the premises of the Shield Training talent is that you can AND do move your shield around. This means you get your shield bonus against all except surprise attacks (which is going to be the only way to attack somebody from the rear as they can freely make one facing change, making that rear attack into a flank attack IF they know it is coming).

Now, if the target does NOT have Shield Training, then I would limit the DB bonus to ONLY the front and the flank on which the shield resides.

Dr_Sage

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 09:37:55 PM »
Thanks.

I do not have much RM experience, so thanks.

Regards.