Author Topic: Increased DP costs for Ambush in comparison to RM2 a deliberate choice?  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Hi,

while a Thief, according to RM2 rules, had costs for the Ambush skill of 1/3, the costs have increased with the RMSS/RMFRP rules to 2/6. Such a doubling of the costs has partially been done, e.g. for Body Development, but in these cases the skill follows a non-standard skill bonus progression and the category does not need to be developed. But the Subterfuge-Attack category uses the standard skill bonus progression and ranks have to be developed for skill and category, so that in effect the costs for developing Ambush have been doubled in comparison to the older RM2 rules. The effect of this (the cost increase was for all professions) is that, since the RMSS rules, Ambush is very rarely developed and used in our group.

Does someone know whether this was a deliberate choice or was it perhaps a conversion error? Am I the only one who is bothered by the cost increase? Or did I get something wrong with the new Ambush rules?

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
Re: Increased DP costs for Ambush in comparison to RM2 a deliberate choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:55:36 AM »
Ambush is a special skill because you count the number of ranks in the skill, rather than looking at the bonus.

"Standard Skills" where you look at the bonus did not see a doubling of cost
Ambush got it's cost doubled to maintain balance ...

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 05:14:04 AM »
Yes, one might argue that one rank in the category is enough and then the character only needs to develop ranks in the skill. But that's only half right as a maneuver roll is still required, where the total skill bonus, including the one from the category ranks, is relevant. Nevertheless I see the point. Perhaps assigning a combined progression would have been the better approach, even if there exists a second skill, Silent Kill, in the same category.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:30:05 AM »
Ihave to admit that I always played that category as combined ...