Author Topic: Higher level = more talent points?  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Higher level = more talent points?
« on: September 03, 2007, 08:33:20 PM »
Since this autumn a couple of friends will probably join us in our ongoing campaign, and the other players' characters are all above 10th level, they'll have to build a 10th level character... I'm thinking of giving them a fixed amount of extra talent points (probably 20), only usable to buy special items, to represent magical items/ special equipment that their charcater have gained in his previous life... do you think it's a good idea?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Higher level = more talent points?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 09:37:16 PM »
Naw, just let them pick a couple of magic items (about the same as the other players have), but do so with GM approval of the items required (as GM you know what the others have), so you can down-grade them if needed, or even upgrade the items if needed.

Work with them to make sure the items are suited to them as well. For example, if one likes having lots of low power one-shot items (potions and scrolls and such) then he should likely have more items than the guy who wants the ancient sword of power (i.e. have the power of the sword reveal themselves only at appropriate times (have the item already have done this once or twice, so the character knows it is possible that there is more).

work with the players and just give them a few items that suit the characters - don't make chargen harder for them than it has to be.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 01:55:51 AM »
I doubt there would be any increased balance from using extra talent points for items. The right magic item can make loads of difference and the talent point does not capture this.
/Pa Staav

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 02:52:08 AM »
Arioch, did the old characters in the group have access to additional Talent Points during their lifetime? Probably not, and then I'd suggest the new characters should also not get more Talent Points. Instead, as was said before, they could get access to some items. Personally I'd give them a fixed amount of gold pieces and they can buy whatever they think is best, be it herbs, magical weapons, non-magical armor, or whatever.

Just my 2 cents

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 05:34:54 AM »
So, I see it's a bad idea!  :D
Thanks guys, I'll do as you suggest!

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 10:09:08 AM »
Depending on your campaign, you might want to give the new guys some connections, friends, enemies, etc (is that the sort of thing that Talent Points are used for, as in Background Options in RM2?) Also, do your players sometimes get permanent advantages (say, wish-type benefits or permanent magical enhancement)? If they do, extra Talent Points might be in order, it seems to me.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 08:38:47 PM »
Non of my players have already received any sort of permanent advantage yet (I usually give them when characters are at higher levels). They have a lot of connections, allies and enemies, of course, so I'll make sure that the new entries will have their, too.  ;)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 02:48:59 AM »
If you use any 'talent adquiring with XP' rule, then players could choose begin with less level but adquiring some talents, you only give them 150.000 XP (level 10), and then they can spend them as desired.