Author Topic: True Familiar  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
True Familiar
« on: September 28, 2007, 06:21:41 AM »
In the Essence Companion True Familiars are given the possibility to gain levels: do they also raise their HPs and OB as described in the C&M when they do a "level up"? Since they must be small animals I don't think it would be "umbalancing" or too powerful letting them gain more HPs (as they don't gain a lot of them)... what do you think? There is something about this written somewhere?
Thanks!
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: True Familiar
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 08:04:01 AM »
I raised their OB, hits, etc as per Creatures and Monsters rules.  They gain level through successful training/spell use, so exp is not a problem.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 01:32:08 PM »
Refresh my memory (books aren't handy) what rules exist in creatures and monsters for leveling animals?
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 06:04:35 PM »
Well...

Every creature has a level with a leter after it.  The letter is level variable, and their is a table that can be rolled on to increase or decrease or leave the same a creatures level.  Looking at the table, you will see there is a max number of levels a creature can gain.  I have always used this as a guide for maximum level of a creature.

Every creature has hits, and behind the hits is a letter...this letter can be referenced on a table and hits gained per level of exp over base can be found, depending on creatures Co.  I always assumed 55 for most creatures, 90 for tough ones.

For every level over base level, OB is increased by 5.

Etc, etc.  These rules fill the first several pages of Creatures and Treasures and C&M.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 05:04:19 AM »
I raised their OB, hits, etc as per Creatures and Monsters rules.  They gain level through successful training/spell use, so exp is not a problem.

lynn

I've decided to do the same, even if I don't use the training skill: when the PC gain a level so does the familiar. Probably a little more powerful but requires less book-keeping and is more straightforward...
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.