Author Topic: Shadowblade vs Dabbler  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Aaron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Shadowblade vs Dabbler
« on: January 21, 2008, 05:03:04 AM »
I'm plannign an campaing with magic-using thieves, and i know 2 such professions: the shadowblade in codex, and the dabbler in guild companion (http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2004/jul/newharpprofession-dabbler.html). I'm a bit short on money now, so could someone point out main differences between those two? I don't want to buy a book i don't really need yet.

Going to buy it someday in any case, for now i just need save money for spring...:)
If any spell can be made into potion, how does fireball potion work when someone drinks it?:D

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • from the pits of T'is K'ali to the starclad sky..
    • myspace
Re: Shadowblade vs Dabbler
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:51:05 AM »
The codex has other interesting stuff inside. For example the Adventurer and Mystic professions are amazing !! a mystic NPC can be a very daunting villain :D

The Dabbler from guild companion seem less offensive and more information gatherer to me, but this is a fast answer.. i should read them carefully to say something more complete.

Italian fanzine for the d100 rpg

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 09:27:47 AM »
Magic using thieves, ey? Depends on how magical they should be. The rogue is allowed to learn spells from the universal sphere as the Mystical is one of his favoured categories.
The Universal sphere offers spells like Unlocking Ways, Mage Seal, Landing, Blur and the like, all very useful to thieves.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Aaron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 01:32:27 PM »
Rogue is more an thief with a little help from magic.. My vision is like elite thief/assassin relying on magic. Making himself look like an shadow, climbing on walls and ceilings with ease, dropping from roof behind the guard without noise and stabbing him with devastating strike. Magically enchancinh his senses and using spells to aid combat.

I don't want magic to be answer to everything, it's just aid to art of thivery and assassination. But i don't think rogue is magical enough.. It would be good choice, but with the whole campaing being about those thieves, it just isn't good enough.

I think i go with codex... and find work:D
If any spell can be made into potion, how does fireball potion work when someone drinks it?:D

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 02:52:20 PM »
I think that the dabbler is more a magic thief whereas the nightblade is a assassin. They are essentially rather close professions with certainly many common favored categories (if not all), but the latter seems definitively more offensive.
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 09:29:31 PM »
Rogue is more an thief with a little help from magic.. My vision is like elite thief/assassin relying on magic. Making himself look like an shadow, climbing on walls and ceilings with ease, dropping from roof behind the guard without noise and stabbing him with devastating strike. Magically enchancinh his senses and using spells to aid combat.

Sounds like the shadowblade is the class that's going to suit your character concept best. Combat, Mystical Arts and Subterfuge are all favoured categories, and their spell selections can cover the areas that aren't favoured, such as athletics (for climbing).

Hawk