Author Topic: Contingency and Spell Mastery  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Contingency and Spell Mastery
« on: January 21, 2008, 06:55:35 AM »
If you use Spell Mastery to change the range of Contingency (Wizard Base, Spell Coordination list) from "self" to "touch" (or another range), would then the spell put in Contingency be triggered by events keyed to the target, or would be still triggered by events concerning the caster?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Contingency and Spell Mastery
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 07:55:56 AM »
target.  Though the caster determines the trigger, which could be a wave of the wizzards hand, tone of voice, an action performed BY the wizzard, or any other trigger, which could include "if X happens to wizzard".

Range of this effect is highly debatable.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 07:44:49 PM »
We use Spell Enhancement  5th-Ranging (50') to contingency others. ;)
And yes, ANY condition the CASTER of Contingency wants is useable.

INCLUDING if the trigger or spell are not what the PC "thought" they were
getting. Only a Delve or the Caster knows what they really did.  :o
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:10:20 AM »
Great!
I was thinking about a kingdom (or even a order) which uses wizards to punish illegal magic usage. A penalty for some magic crimes could be a contingency linked with a Forget Spell keyed to go off the round after the target cast a spell...  ;D
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:46:13 AM »
Hmmm - basically turns contigency into an unconscious bladerune.

Couple it with lifekeeping off arcane healing.

Now if you used spell hand to increase some facet of the contingent spell, would you need to store it as a complex spell or would it store the ramped up version?

Love the arcanist & wizard lists but they do get tricky as they modify a lot of rules. 

For example, you can't use spell shaping on DE or BE spells, but can they be used on E spells?  Use ball form on wall of stone to make a big catapult shot or cloud form would make a lot of sand for example.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Wait a minuite....

I had'nt thought about it, but a goverment could put a contingency on a second time theif so he just blows up or something if he steals again.
Since a theif by trade is generaly poor, only a fue would have the funds to go elsewhere to get the comtingency removed. Most would have to live with it.

Of course this requires a goverment with spell casters to burn or a very special condition.(Rich realitive to pay for casting insted of a noose....) ;D
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »
Stealing would be a more difficult criteria to set than casting a spell.
For other applications I have visions of a Clockwork Orange - Not Ludwig Van!!!

Or you could make the contigency work like a stored spell that doesn't need to be bypassed making the trigger a command word or something.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha