Author Topic: Magic questions!  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Aaron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Magic questions!
« on: February 10, 2008, 01:32:59 AM »
Hi!

I just bought codex, and now i have some questions..

What differencs do Enchant key(codex) and imbue spell(CoM) have? Is Enchant key just an super easy version to make daily items?

Why are spells like fiery forge, purify substance and repel pests so expensive? There are cantrips for same jobs... Repel insects, purify drink and purify food(the cantrips are even more powerfull.. they clean all impurities). And fiery forge is pretty useless, i might see it as a cantrip, not as an expensive universal spell. With range:touch and shorter time i made it as a cantrip, using CoM rules. Same goes for Wizard's mark... Good spell, but not worth 20DP. Better as cantrip, i think...

Last one, thist time from CoM.  Page 65: "all apropriate targets...will be unable to escape...unless they make RR versus magic. The modifier for this RR is +50)
That made me confused... what is the target number to beat? 50? Or is it the original inscribe ruless total + 50, looked from RR colum?

If any spell can be made into potion, how does fireball potion work when someone drinks it?:D

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Magic questions!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 08:48:40 AM »
Last one, thist time from CoM.  Page 65: "all apropriate targets...will be unable to escape...unless they make RR versus magic. The modifier for this RR is +50)
That made me confused... what is the target number to beat? 50? Or is it the original inscribe ruless total + 50, looked from RR colum?

Roll d100 open-ended, add 50, look up result on RR column. That's the target number to resist. Basically it removes the need for the GM to figure out how skilled a particular spell user who created a rune or whatever was.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 08:53:31 AM »
Enchant Key -- this is not for making daily items that can be carried about, it is for enchanting items to be used in constructing buildings and such. To supply wizards and warlords with all those nifty magical traps that adventures love to find (hopefully by setting them off).

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 05:09:33 PM »
HI Aaron,

Repel Insects can repel flies, locusts, mosquitoes, etc
Repel Pests can do that but also repel rats, mice, possibly rabbits, crows, pigeons, etc

Hey, imagine a scarecrow with Enchant key and Repel Pests! :)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
Actually, I wouldn't allow for Enchant Key to be used to make a scarecrow. The idea is that once the key item is enchanted, it is set in an immovable location (door lintel, stone in a wall, cobblestone in the floor, etc).

A scarecrow isn't part of a structure, thus I would not allow it to be used for such.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 05:57:50 PM »
Would it work with a Stone block with a hole in it, the scarecrow to sit in the hole.

if a crow, etc sat on the scarecrow, deficated, dropped seeds, etc, then would the spell not go off?
Could you set the spell to go off if the pests got in an area of the stone (treat this as  a cornerstone of a building it should work...) ie the garden perimeter?
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 08:50:11 PM »
The whole point of the Enchant Key spell is that it is used on an item that is then used in construction. Even including such things as streetlights. The "key point" is that the enchanted item is used to create a permanent structure.

As part of a wall -- that would work, but not a scarecrow, or just a block that the scarecrow sites in (as that is movable).

Offline Aaron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 01:03:03 AM »
Hmm.. but i wan't epert mages contaiment circles be more powerfull than novice's! :D I think i change that one..

Thanks Rasyr.. The spell description was a bit vague. Now i got it:)

Repel insects is 1PP cantrip, and if you want to repel rats etc. too, you have to use 9PP universal spell... Not logical IMHO. And is repel pests really done with CoM rules? Then what makes it so expensive?

Do you guys invite any good uses for fiery forge and wizard's mark? If not, i think i change them, they are much too expensive.. as are repel pests and purify substance.

One more... Hidden pocket. Stuff in pocket weights 1/10 of their normal weight, and the pocket can hold 25 pounds of stuff.. is 25 pounds on normal or shrunk stuff? So can the pocket hold one or ten 25 pound swords?
If any spell can be made into potion, how does fireball potion work when someone drinks it?:D

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 07:48:51 AM »
25 lbs of items before weight reduction