Author Topic: Poisons  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Adunakhor

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Poisons
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:37:59 AM »
I don't use poisons very often. But the few times I used them in HARP, I thought they are not as dangerous as they should be. Actually most of the (C)RRs are quite easily made by fighters, other combat orientated characters or NPCs, because they will have a high stamina. Maybe at lower levels this will be a problem, but later the RRs are too easy IMHO, even for non-fighter characters who invest a little in their stamina RR.

But that's not the main problem. I could adjust (C)RRs and PBs. Or just use 2xCO stat bonus instead of stamina RR for poisons
or introduce a skill Poison Resistance.

The main problem I see is, that there is no ongoing damage from poisons. Spells like "Neutralize Poison" are useless. If the RR is not made, there is (mostly) a single critical on one of the poison critical tables or some simple hits and that's it. There will be no need for emergency actions because a party member got poisoned.

Does anybody see any possibilities, to make poisons a more serious thread?

Thanks for suggestions
Andreas.
Love your enemies. It will drive them crazy.

Offline Aaron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Poisons
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:05:39 PM »
This may be obvious, but make your own poisons. I don't use the poisons in the book, as i feel they are not appropriate to my campaing. And very expensive too... Poison are pretty easy to make.
If any spell can be made into potion, how does fireball potion work when someone drinks it?:D

Offline Mattiyaho

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 02:23:07 PM »
I can't think of a single game were we used the poisons in the book. The GM always made his own poisons and most still had minor effects even if you saved which I think is more real. You can add a duration to the poisons and turn the damage into damage per round for the duration, or untill a neutralize poison is used. Also if a character dies by poison then a neutralize poison must be used befor a resurection or the character starts taking the poison damage all over again. One of the deadlyest poisons I've made was half life basicly the character had to make a 250 save if they fail they half every thing hits, power points, skills, DB, OB, and even saves, this initial damage can not be healed untill a neutralize poison is cast, then they take one aditional hit per minute untill they die or neutralize poison is used these additional hits can be restored by magic but it won't stop further damage. If the character failed by more than 100 or fumbled they are dead, if they saved they still took one hit a minute untill neutralize poison was cast. Obviously this poison is to be used on higher level characters so they can have a fighting chance.

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:39:25 PM »
That's always a suggestion for a Harper's Bazaar. Maybe more poisons with a duration and continuous damage. Until then, I do agree that poisons are very simple for a GM to make without taking much time. Good luck and have fun!
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:59:31 PM »
That's always a suggestion for a Harper's Bazaar. Maybe more poisons with a duration and continuous damage. Until then, I do agree that poisons are very simple for a GM to make without taking much time. Good luck and have fun!

The idea with the HB is great - I second that!
Maybe also more poisons with permanent or long term damage like paralysis, sleep, loosing sight or other interesting but not neccessarily fatal results.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 12:26:32 AM »
I have yet to delve deeply with poisons in my campaign and all this is news to me! I am glad that it has been brought up here before in my game ;D. However, having said that, I too would appreciate a Bazaar concerning more/different poisons... but then again, I love the Bazaars anyhow! :D

But I am curious if this is a "local" problem or endemic to the system...?
Certainly Tim and the playtesters thought of that!... right...? :-\
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Aaron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 04:47:26 AM »
They poison in the book are good enough in most cases, i think, like one charater using poisons. But my campaing is an all-shadowblade-campaing, so poisons play and great role, and poisons in the book just are not good enough. So yes, i think that Tim and playtesters thought about poisons:)
If any spell can be made into potion, how does fireball potion work when someone drinks it?:D

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 05:36:47 PM »
Use rules that damage CO when using poisons.  The havoc they wreak on an immune system should lay someone up for weeks. 
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.