Author Topic: Psionics in HARP  (Read 3116 times)

Offline aarondesk

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Psionics in HARP
« on: March 13, 2008, 08:56:12 PM »
One aspect lacking in HARP is psionics. I don't know if this was intentional, or if some future supplement will have details on psionics in HARP.

Has anyone tried to incorporate psionics into their HARP game? I believe HARP sci-fi has psionics, so maybe it might be possible to adopt them to fantasy. I also believe Rolemaster has 'mentalism', which I believe is psionics(?), so maybe it also can be adapted.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline Aaron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Psionics in HARP
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 03:29:58 AM »
Mentalism is not psionics, as explained in spell law:mentalism. Main difference is, than when psionics would las tonly as long as you concentrate (power of mind and concentration), mentalism is real manipulation of mana, just like essence, and continues to work even after you stop concentrating. Mentalism is manipulation of mana inside you, as opposed to essence, which is manipulation of mana around you.

Main differences between mentalism and essence are that essence is flashy, stuffs like illusions and fireballs, and mentalism is subtle, like mental communication and mind control. Mentalism also doesn't suffer from armor, only from helmets. But yea, there are common points in psionics and mentalism. And if you want to use RM magic, you can easily swap HARP-magic system to RM-magic system.
If any spell can be made into potion, how does fireball potion work when someone drinks it?:D

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 04:28:43 AM »
I think that HARP SF covers psionic powers.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline aarondesk

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:54:37 AM »
Mentalism is not psionics, as explained in spell law:mentalism.

Ok. Are there psionics in Rolemaster, or any current ICE products? Spacemaster maybe?

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 09:00:01 AM »
Psionics are covered in Spacemaster: Privateers

Spacemaster has always included the concept of Psionics, but in previous versions, they were more-or-lee a renamed "Mentalism", using spell lists and spell mechanics.

SM:P uses a skill-based system with different resolution mechanics that is very good at modelling Psionics, and makes it a clearly differentiated concept.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:19:21 AM »
One aspect lacking in HARP is psionics. I don't know if this was intentional, or if some future supplement will have details on psionics in HARP.

Has anyone tried to incorporate psionics into their HARP game? I believe HARP sci-fi has psionics, so maybe it might be possible to adopt them to fantasy. I also believe Rolemaster has 'mentalism', which I believe is psionics(?), so maybe it also can be adapted.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Aaron

Codex has spells in terms of the Mystic Circle that cover mental communication, divination, scrying, mental attacks.

HARP SF has psionic rules.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline aarondesk

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:35:53 PM »
Thanks all. Looks like I need to get the Codex, HARP SF, and Spacemaster.  :D

Aaron