Author Topic: Severe Mistake in Gamemaster Law  (Read 5005 times)

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
Re: Severe Mistake in Gamemaster Law
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 04:23:05 PM »
A quick search on Wikipedia came up with this:

The largest horse in recorded history was probably a Shire horse named Sampson, who lived during the late 1800s. He stood 21.2? hands high (86.5 inches (220 cm)), and his peak weight was estimated at 3,360 pounds (1,520 kg).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse

http://www.ruralheritage.com/horse_paddock/horse_large.htm
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 05:25:03 PM »
 I for one sort of like the idea that they expanded the chart so that I can have magicly enhanced horses or breeds of horse for my game world. If I was to guess why the expanded on the horse height table it might from LotR and horses that an 7'+ elf could ride. But that again is just a guess on my part.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »
3) Rolemaster is first and foremost a game. It was never intended to even closely model reality. Any "realism" to be found in Rolemaster is purely coincidental (and pure serendipity for those who like realism).

I agree with everything you said except for this comment. Even the 1st edition of Rolemaster paraded its realism as being a buying point ("have you ever seen a wolf use a crossbow?". The argument that it's a game and shouldn't try to model reality is what Gary Gygax used to say the Sorcerer's Scroll articles when making up excuses for clear and evident flaws in the game system.

(Such flaws have been since accumulated into their own book - Murphy's Rules)

Of course, this is hardly of the same scale. I don't know anyone who has ever used the Wind Chill chart from GL, except to say "there is a brisk cold wind blowing". It may be an issue if you're on top of a mountain and short of blankets and rations tho'...

Also I think the GL chart is supposed to represent a modification to the "unwindy" temperature, rather than an absolute figure.

I have to agree... RM has got to be one of the most, if not the most, realistic RPG out there. That is actually what I like most about it!

Having said that, I think temp. charts and weather charts are to be used sparingly at best. Like many others, I just say," it's raining pretty heavily, and has been for the last several hours. There is a cold wind blowing from the west and it feels about 46 degrees..."

I have enough tables for the stuff I need!

But to each their own...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 01:43:52 PM »
I just stick with "you're freezing, and feel like you're health will be in peril if you don't seek shelter soon."  :p

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 12:31:18 AM »
Or you could say "you feel as if the very life essence itself is being sapped out of you." See if the players think it is the weather or nearbye undead causing this effect.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »
"It's a lazy wind, it can't be bothered to go around you, it just goes straight through you"
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 05:22:12 PM »
"Roll Perception."
<rolls>
"One of your ears just broke off."

::)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 06:34:53 AM »
rgument that it's a game and shouldn't try to model reality is what Gary Gygax used to say the Sorcerer's Scroll articles when making up excuses for clear and evident flaws in the game system.

(Such flaws have been since accumulated into their own book - Murphy's Rules)

Along with 'flawed' rules from many, many, many, other systems...not just Gygax's.

All systems have 'clear and evident' flaws after they go through the 'infallible' editing process of hundreds of gamers' eyes pouring over them.  Yes, even Rolemaster.  This chart is a minor one compared to some of the errors in logic I've spotted.  And it still manages to be a fun game...
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain