Author Topic: All Games Considered Episode about HARP  (Read 2437 times)

Offline AnthonyRoberson

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
All Games Considered Episode about HARP
« on: October 23, 2008, 08:12:12 AM »
I just listened to the latest 'RPG Buffet' episode of All Games Considered where they talk about a playtest of HARP.  It was neat to hear someone talk about the game, but uggh all the errors!  They even got the name of the game wrong!  I think they called it High Adrenaline Role Playing or something like that.  It was riddled with other little errors and misconceptions too like the mention of spell lists, etc.  Very frustrating...

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
Re: All Games Considered Episode about HARP
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:18:25 AM »
Shows a complete and utter lack of research and playing. It is simply a case of them wanting to get as much game info out there, wrong or not... a matter of publicity perhaps.

I wish there was some legal way to mitigate the gross mistakes, but... I dunno...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: All Games Considered Episode about HARP
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:16:29 AM »
Just listened to it, too. Have to agree with you that it is a bit sad that there were mistakes in it. However, I think it is quite well introduced by them, putting it in the line with Rolemaster but also showing how it is less table-heavy than Rolemaster. I thought it a bit sad that they only "guessed" that "they" are working on other variations of HARP and do not mention that HARP SF is basically done and also available. It was sort of interesting to hear that they thought that characteristics, i.e. stats, make character development difficult.
I definitely liked that they mentioned what they called the "tweakability". Also that they showed that it actually is not that big an amount of calculation as everyone is always tempted to accuse HARP of, being a relative of Rolemaster.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!