Author Topic: How teleporting characters can be tracked?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
How teleporting characters can be tracked?
« on: November 22, 2008, 03:49:49 AM »
Is there any way to know where a character is gone using a teleport spell?
Spells are supposed to leave a track (signature) behind them, right? What should I use to follow it?

Thanks!
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: How teleporting characters can be tracked?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 04:45:40 AM »
Well checking the different Spell Laws it seems that True Perceptions from the Seer's Base Lists is your best bet.

Mind Store to store the Teleporters mind before he teleports and then use Finding-spells to find his new location.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 06:35:32 AM »
I would say Dream from Future Visions (seer base) can help or give the information. Depends on your definition of the wording (and the GM of course). Then Vision Behind from Past Visions* (seer base) could reveal the information if we assume that the words used to cast the teleport spell names the desitination. Or if not a Spell Lore check to recognize the signature of the spell, and coupled with Region Lore or Geography could give you an idea of where he teleported to.

*Or if the character vitnessed the casting of the spell, then just the skill checks.
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 10:51:47 AM »
If you have access to it (and is using RM2), the "Trace Law" spell list in the "Spell Users Companion" deals with tracking people, including those who teleported away.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 01:38:04 PM »
If you want to stay skill based, use power perception, which could be used to identify a teleport rip (easy mnv) or the pattern/signature of the spell caster (hard to Ex Hard).

Note that casters might use spell mastery or spell artistry to "disguise" their respective signatures.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »
 I have not had time to look at the spell list but I think there is a list in the Channeling Comp that deals with teleport portals. But I could be wrong.

Other wise IMO if it is important for your game I would use some house rules based on Yammas comments above.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 03:33:40 AM »
Thanks to all for your replies!
I asked this because one of the country of the setting in which we play has recently founded an "intelligence service" to keep spell users under control and I'm making up their "standard" strategies and countermeasures in various situation  ;)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.