Author Topic: HTML character sheets  (Read 2672 times)

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
HTML character sheets
« on: May 03, 2009, 04:00:02 AM »
Hi guys,
I've just found the html character sheet on the harp website and was wondering if somebody has ever made an editor for it.
Do you guys know if something exists?
I'm talking about the character sheet available there: http://www.harphq.com/charsheets.htm

I do have some skills at programing and plan to make one if nobody did one already. It is very useful for PBP adventures.
Are there people here interested in using it?

cheers
Fred

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
Re: HTML character sheets
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:38:18 AM »
Hi,

I'd be interested in it.
The problem is how to save a character? maybe a cookie for the character? (never looked into cookies so I dont know if this is possible...)

If you use a cookie and thus only allow one character per person/cookie then I think that would be acceptable.

Good luck with this!
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 10:17:31 AM »
Actually, the best method would be via PHP and a database. Perhaps include a login control, and save a different version of the character at each level, and have it setup so that only the person who created the character can update it, but also allow others to take, and adjust characters (and print out the results without saving them..

I would even be willing to set up a sub-domain on my personal site for anybody wanting to try to create such a thing...

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:11:59 PM »
That's an interesting aspect, indeed. This has been done already for a boardgame I like (Bloodbowl if you want to know). As far as I remember, it uses a database, login and password. It's not really complicated.
The hard job is to take into account all the sourcebooks, new professions, talents etc.

I was initially thinking about making a program (.exe ) that can be run offline, like a basic software. It can create/read an html file and edit the code. Then, people can upload it into his website or wherever he wants.
I use Delphi language and it shouldn't take long to make it.
Since I use home rules, I need something not too rigid and too close to the core rules. So then, just making an editor, not something implementing the mecanism of character creation, is probably the best option.

But I'm always open for good ideas and making a php program for HARP character creation could be a good challenge.
For now, let's make one step at a time. I will work on the offline editor, propose it here and get your feedback. After some experience about the HARP character sheet creation, I will be able to think further.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:55:18 AM »
Actually, the best method would be via PHP and a database. Perhaps include a login control, and save a different version of the character at each level, and have it setup so that only the person who created the character can update it, but also allow others to take, and adjust characters (and print out the results without saving them..

I would even be willing to set up a sub-domain on my personal site for anybody wanting to try to create such a thing...

I was going to suggest that a php and db would be the best, but would require someone to host it, maintain it, etc and I wouldnt want to push that on anyone...

But if your willing, Rasyr, to host it then perhaps a  web guru out there might be able to out something together?
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 06:48:26 AM »
Yup, I have actually already setup a host site for an RM version - http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=8512.0 -- if anybody is interested in working on a HARP version, let me know and I am quite willing to host a development site for that as well.

Offline TwilightKing

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 12:58:06 PM »
I have been toying with the idea of creating this very project, using PHP and mySql. I don't know if I have the time to take it on myself, but I would be interested in helping others in creating it.

Offline ezrk

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 03:59:55 AM »
HI all,

I'm  french web developper using HARP for my own campaign.
As I was looking for some ideas for a personal project, I choose to implement a dynamic character sheet.
It's only a project for the moment but it will be done using php5/mySQL with symfony framework and have already got the basic ERM.

I will open a new post to talk about this and ask some question about author rights (for using the HARP rule system) etc

I will need alpha tester too !

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 03:37:25 AM »
Hi All,

Have a look at the HARP Character Generation Forum...

http://darkeen.homelinux.com/yahcs is now complete and looking for testers..

Of course Im sure others can do better buts its not a bad effort for my first LAMP project!

--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer