Author Topic: Invisibility  (Read 9887 times)

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Invisibility
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2009, 09:40:28 AM »
About what you ask Providence:

IMHO, if you make yourself invisible with a crossbow, so you and the weapon are invisible  in the moment you shoot the crossbow, the violent movement that makes the arrow fly will "break" the spell.

But if you are invisible, but the crossbow is not (you get the crossbow after the spell), i suppose you will not lose the invisibility because your body surrounded by the spell haven't moved violently(only pushed a trigger).

In the same line i suppose you can cast an normal invisibility on the person , and an additional "Unseen spell" in the crossbow; so after you shot, only the unseen spell loses his invisibility. So you are still invisible, but the crossbow can be seen in the air.

This is the idea of invisibility i have, like a tiny "cloak" that needs to be cohesioned in all the surface of the "cloak" to remain stable and working.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2009, 06:35:30 PM »
My RM2 Spell Law (Stock #1200) does not discuss invisibility on p. 77.
This referred to the Invisibility Ways spell list, that states the termination conditions for any Invisibility spell.

In no case is there any suggestion that movement faster than a walk should cause automatic visibility, although one will normally need to make a moving maneuver and risk bumping into something.
Yup, that's to what I was referring when writing "you have a chance of losing the invisibility each round you run" (not automatic, just "a chance"). According to RM2 rules, starting from a Run speed, one ought to roll a moving manoeuvre of Easy difficulty, which has, according to the invisibility rules, 2% of terminating the spell (5% for sprint, 10% for fast sprint and 15% for dash --for each round!).
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2009, 02:46:07 AM »
Why do you think "attacking" causes the spell to be broken?

IMHO it's simply a metagaming solution, because otherwise the spell would have been too strong. You can justify it with any reason that fits the fluff of your gaming world.

The spell lasts 24 hrs, but when you interact with someone, and try not to be seen, you have to concentrate. This would make it "a bit" harder to be Invisible all day....

Depends in what you mean with interacting with someone. For example, is something like pickpocketing included? Because concentration would be highly penalyzing for similar actions (as it cuts down your activity to 50%)...
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2009, 05:25:03 PM »
 Out of curiosity, why has everyone assumed the target can see, through normal sight, out of the radius?

IF light is being bent around the caster, then the caster is in darkness. He needs a pre-cast Presence or something to "see".

If its a Mentalism version we use the "somebody elses problem" approach. Visible, but un-important.
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2009, 07:49:58 PM »
Out of curiosity, why has everyone assumed the target can see, through normal sight, out of the radius?

IF light is being bent around the caster, then the caster is in darkness. He needs a pre-cast Presence or something to "see".

If its a Mentalism version we use the "somebody elses problem" approach. Visible, but un-important.

The above in the approach I use but I get tired of repeating it.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2009, 11:02:59 PM »

Fornitus, you make and excellent scientific point!
IMO, The shimmer/distortion results from not being totally invisible. So, you're kind of looking through a funhouse mirror. It's distorted so much that the image isn't a recognizable pattern, at first. Perhaps the same magic that distorts/bends the image one way, focuses it on the other side. This way, the one invisible can still see normally... If that's how you play it. Shadowy, black and white, etc, would be fun too!
Once a "danger" is perceived, the distortion can be "cleaned up" because our brains spend more processing power on image/sound/sensory recognition. We focus more on the threat.
Just a thought.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2009, 07:13:42 AM »
The person who taught me RM2 had a special disadvantage for users of invisibility spells. You had a chance each round of dissapearing and going to a very bad place. In out group non of us found out but the old timers in the game said it was a very bad place.

MDC

Hey! I like this!
When Invisible, you are actually on another plane/world/reality. When you turn visible again, you come back to the "real" world/your plane. Getting stuck in that "other" world is a possibility! And what if something else sees you on the other plane/reality?.... something hungry....
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2009, 12:15:03 PM »
And what if something else sees you on the other plane/reality?.... something hungry....
This sounds like one of those players vs the GM games! ;D
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 12:23:27 PM »
This sounds like one of those players vs the GM games! ;D

Does it?
Sounds like a really good adventure hook to me.... ;)
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2009, 05:22:37 PM »
RWW,
No, no. I would like to play in the game.  ;D

A while back I was in a game that was us vs. him.
All the players were kinda rude....in a civil, but curt way. I couldn't figure out why until we played a few times.
The GM was an absolute rules lawyer and for the players to "play", they would have to restate (fight/argue) with the GM. "Well, since you stated during this game that was how it was.... then is it the same way now?"
If I can only move X and then perform Y, how can they act A, move B and perform C....details unimportant, but hopefully you see what I mean.
So he was basically altering game to oppose the players but the rules seemed to change when they tried to do  it. What ever the issue, everyone was on edge for having to fight as players for the same things every other game. Only the encyclopedic (change on a whim) rules layer GM had any fun, IMO.
I dropped after a few games. I decided that I shouldn't have to fight (the GM) to have fun.

Your post reminded me of something he might do.... but the opponents wouldn't have that problem for whatever "reason." :)
GM: "What you didn't know was that the orc sorcerer made a pact with the extraplaner blah, blah, to blah."
There was always a "reason". ???

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2009, 06:21:48 PM »
ie the GM is supposed to be the invisible one at the table.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2009, 10:47:01 PM »
I apologize for being snarky and misunderstanding you.
www.strategypage.com

Offline mibsweden

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2009, 01:24:12 AM »
ie the GM is supposed to be the invisible one at the table.
MDC

Yes but remember the fringe effect!  :D
GM'ing RM since 1984

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2009, 07:51:31 AM »
Now that I think of it, GM's produce a "somebody else's problem field."
Sometimes they are slightly out of focus, but unless they're rolling dice, it's not my problem! 8)

While two sneakers were scouting ahead the other night, the rest of the party starts into loud, totally unrelated banter. Now, of course, we weren't there (ahead with the scouts), but they were having problems hearing the GM! I finally bellowed "If we pay attention now, we don't have to waste time repeating what they see!" This would be different if they came back with false info (Uh..no, the treasure room was empty..chink, chink), but most of us have been around and can keep Character/Player knowledge separate.
That group games 1/month. Any "friendly conversation" should be said as if in a freakin' library, as far as I'm concerned.  :)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
Related,
Would an invisible spider climber be even harder to detect because you just don't normally look on walls or ceilings.

On the same Profession, how about Detect Active Power? You can't see them but you detect the magic?

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2009, 10:23:19 AM »
In AD&D invisibility is gone with more actions, not only attack ones, and the duration is lesser (I think), so you could use these points, the duration could be something like 10 min/lvl.

About the actions, don't limit only to spell casting for invisibility finish because semi or non spell users can use invisilibity too by their own or by items. Then all possible users should have the same dis/advantages, so if you do that casting a non-attack spell finish the invisibility, then doing things like draw weapon, lock pick or having a weapon in hand (if not is the trap to evade the draw weapon) the invisibility finish too.

But I like the invisibility with the current description.