Author Topic: Cyberspace: Post-Apocalytic setting ???  (Read 8326 times)

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
Cyberspace: Post-Apocalytic setting ???
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:41:39 PM »
Has anyone use the Cyberspace rules for a PA setting ? I'm planning on doing so. I'm tweaking my Cyberpunk setting I'm working on to create a cyber-post-apocalytic setting. A setting inspired by Road Warriors/MM:BTD ,Doomsday,Battle Angel Alita ,Fallout & Cyborg. Though I love Cyberpunk but I love PA more.There is just something fun about PA settings that get me every time.Be it movies like Cyborg or Road Warriors or games like Fallout, they just grab ahold of my imagination & won't let go.

I may still resurrect my Cyberpunk setting at a later date but I want to focus on developing my PA & fantasy settings right now. <now if I can stay focused & do some serious work on them>
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:44:04 PM by Lanadhil Blackmane »
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
Re: Cyberspace: Post-Apocalytic setting ???
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 03:04:03 PM »
IT might be best to wait for what AW is going to come up with.

Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »
I'll still work on mine but I'll check out AW to see if it has the feel I'm looking for in a PA setting.Plus part of the reason of this post was to see if any Cyberspace GMs had used Cyberspace for their PA setting.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Cloven-Fruit-Games

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:39:41 AM »
AW has no Cyber aspects to it (no cyborgs, nano-thec, bionics, robots, et all). It is based on the fall happen right about now. All the stuff the world has now, is what is left by the elders in the AW setting.

Offline SnowDog

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 07:39:43 AM »
I didn't use the system for anything except official setting. Still, I would not see why it would not work for PA games. You just need to stress the survival aspects (and skills) over hi-tech. Actually Fallout series is pretty high-tech in certain parts.
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 12:50:26 AM »
I'm VERY slowly working on my P-A setting for Cyberspace. I need to rework a few things for the setting & deal with working up races & creatures to populate the setting. It's basically a Alternate future for my Cyberpunk setting i'm also working SLOWLY on. My fantasy world is taking up most of my creative efforts.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 02:57:03 PM »
I believe there are a few Gama World sites still around.. :)

Really great setting for PA.
It could be modified to use Realm-like magics/tech or at least the story line.

"Ariel, Ukla, Ride!"
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 06:56:35 PM »
Though I love Cyberpunk but I love PA more.There is just something fun about PA settings that get me every time.Be it movies like Cyborg or Road Warriors or games like Fallout, they just grab ahold of my imagination & won't let go.

DUDE! I am so with you on this. I have everything for every edition of GAMMA WORLD in both hard copy and pdf, some duplicates of the hard copies as well. Not to mention, Darwins World, Twilight 2000 (& 2013 pdf), Hero PA setting book, the Deadlands PA setting, and others I cannot even remember right now. I have been playing Fallout3 (again) and really getting into a PA state of mind. (I have been having problems getting to xbox live and getting the Broken Steel & Spaceship Zeta updates and it had been driving me MAD. MAD, I tell you!!!!)

You do know that they are doing a HARP PA game, right? Using that in conjunction with their HARP SciFi will get you a cyberpunk/pa game.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 09:55:55 PM »
OK.
 This may show my age...

ZARDOZ!

The flying head ship belching forth guns and ammo, wacky Mentalism society, guns (freakin' cool Wetherby pistol!), sentient hippy computers, apathetics (?) and the green bread... man, this movie had it all!!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 11:13:50 PM »
ZARDOZ!

I just saw that movie a few months ago. Sean Connery. Very funny.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 01:03:39 PM »
OK.
 This may show my age...

ZARDOZ!

The flying head ship belching forth guns and ammo, wacky Mentalism society, guns (freakin' cool Wetherby pistol!), sentient hippy computers, apathetics (?) and the green bread... man, this movie had it all!!
Yes that is a classic.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 03:03:59 PM »
I have everything for every edition of GAMMA WORLD in both hard copy and pdf, some duplicates of the hard copies as well. Not to mention, Darwins World, Twilight 2000 (& 2013 pdf), Hero PA setting book, the Deadlands PA setting, and others I cannot even remember right now.

Other PA settings/RPGs: Tribe 8 (reallly good IMO, horror PA), Waste World (smells like 40k, but then its made by Bill King so thats not odd I guess), The End (the meek shall inherit the world and they do. Kinda like King´s The Stand), Desolation (Fantasy PA), and Shades of Darkness (from ICE and a really nice PA setting).

ZARDOZ!
Yes that is a classic.
MDC

That movie made my head spin. Now I got that picture of Sean Connery in that red costume in my head again :'(
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 06:39:57 PM »
Other PA settings/RPGs: Tribe 8 (reallly good IMO, horror PA), Waste World (smells like 40k, but then its made by Bill King so thats not odd I guess), The End (the meek shall inherit the world and they do. Kinda like King´s The Stand), Desolation (Fantasy PA), and Shades of Darkness (from ICE and a really nice PA setting).

I have had some Tribe 8 stuff - it never really stuck with me for some reason, same for The End (I guess I don't generally like the biblical-style PA settings). Currently have both Desolation and Shades of Darkness.

My PA preference is the nuclear-armageddon type with mutants and laser rifles!! I guess you could call me a "purist" in this regard.  ;D

BTW: We need some of the emoticons from the Bethesda site, especially the one that goes from the radiation warning symbol to a nuke explosion!

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 01:24:28 PM »
I have some Tribe 8 as I liked the PA setting but in the end I couldn't find people willing to play it. The art & some of the concepts could be very disturbing.I loved DP9's Heavygear RPG so I got Tribe 8 based on the art & similarity of system.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 06:31:01 PM »
I loved DP9's Heavygear RPG so I got Tribe 8 based on the art & similarity of system.

I just came across the Heavy Gear cartoon on Hulu. Boy is it bad. The RPG is set up much better - and even looks much better.

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 07:24:22 PM »
You are correct about the animation of HG being bad. I did enjoy it but wasn't true to the setting. They kiddied it down. SJG is putting out a 4th ed. of Heavy Gear in the near future. I hope that it get's the proper support it deserves. That said I'd love to play HG using SM2 rules.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 10:18:32 PM »
You are correct about the animation of HG being bad. I did enjoy it but wasn't true to the setting. They kiddied it down. SJG is putting out a 4th ed. of Heavy Gear in the near future. I hope that it get's the proper support it deserves. That said I'd love to play HG using SM2 rules.
You can sort of with the Armored Assault book as it has Mech or MIRC rules in it. The only thing I would do would be to adjust the weight of weapons and add some more options for the MIRC's to have. That could be a big job but IMO it could be done with out too much pain or blood lost. In fact in the past I have thought about converting Battle Tech over to the AA rules. But other things have always come up.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 03:41:35 PM »
Back to P-A gaming  :P 

I finally gave up on my Cyberspace setting . I'd rather convert Shadowrun to Cyberspace/RM2/C & just revise the default setting in Cyberspace (for pure cyberpunk goodness). As such , I'm going to get back to creating my P-A setting. As I said before I want it to be set after the fall in what have been my cyberpunk setting. So there'll be cyborgs , robots , mutants & such.I'm just not sure when to set it.. such as just after the fall (Mad Max series) , up to 50 years or after 200 to 300 years like in Fallout ? Currently I've used a mix of nuclear war , orbital bombardment & a virus to cause the fall. The virus mutates after contact with radiation to create a new virus that causes genetic mutation in survivors (both human & animal).

I'm not sure whether I want to set it too near the fall or a couple centuries later either.I want some semblance of civilization returning to the world but keep it small & generally isolated from the wastelands. Most people still scratch out a living in small (often fortified) villages farming what untainted agricultural land available , in small scavanger communities , as members of bands of raiders (in their modified vehicles) or in the small kingdoms or fledgling towns & cities. People , especially those living or travelling through the wastelands need to survive : 1) mutant animals , 2) mutant & human raiders , 3) radiation & toxic contamination & 4) roving combat robots .

I love RIFTS but still like to play in P-A settings that don't have magic or alien creatures. I don't mind including Aliens so much as the great number of different types available . Plus the whole Giant Robot/Mecha thing , while cool in RIFTS won't fit my world.I can see some form of alien invasion/war that leads to the Fall. Plus the possibility of the virus (whether human-made or alien-made backfiring killing off both most of the humans & aliens). Maybe alien expermentation leading to the creation of mutant human or mutant human-alien hybrids , as well. Thus giving reason why there are mutants in the world & why there are still high tech working after the fall. Any suggestions are welcome.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 03:45:56 PM »
I wouldn't even mention that other game.. R1ft$.
They're listening..  :-X :) 

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 04:13:40 PM »
LOL As you noticed I didn't mention conversion once concerning it LOL I'll play RIFTs as is.. well converted to SDC. The only conversion they allow, grudgingly.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax